He came to a clearing and stopped, the dead silence eerie as he turned around, trying to face whatever was behind him.

He picked up a stick on the ground, sharpened on one end and gripped it firmly despite the cool sweat on his palms. He dropped into a ready position as the rustling started again. As the creature leapt out of the forest, he moved to drive the spearhead through it's chest.

The orange and white tooka he caught on the end of his spear squeaked as he drove the spear home through it's stomach. It looked up at him with bright blue eyes as he realized what he had just done. Hastily he pulled the spear back and dropped to his knees, pulling the mortally wounded tooka to his chest as it's lifeblood ran through his fingers from the gapping wound on it's stomach.

Instead of fighting him the dying tooka gave a weak purr and nuzzled into him as it's tiny breaths became more labored and raspy.

It sounded like the young shiny Trill had when he died, much the same way.

Rex froze as a familiar laugh sounded above him, every nerve ending in his body lighting up as he felt a force sensitive moving through the branches above him. Between that and the laugh it was easy to identify Pong Krell.

Rex couldn't move as a green blade erupted into existence a fraction of an inch from his neck.

"Clones are engineered to kill, Clone. Don't tell me you mourn the death of such a pathetic creature." Krell snarled. Rex carefully set the now still body of the tooka down and reached carefully for his lightsaber, only to come up empty. All he had was his blasters.

His hands betrayed him as he ducked away from the blade, rolling to his feet and drawing the weapons. They shook as he came face to face with... with Ahsoka.

She gave a malicious smile. When she spoke it was Krell's voice.

"You couldn't execute me the first time. You most certainly can't now, not when the traitor is your own wife." She said. A wrinkled hand clamped down on his shoulder, and he glanced over to see a hooded figure with eyes blazing with so much fury that it radiated off of him in waves.

"Captain Rex, the jedi have betrayed the republic. It is time to execute order sixty six." The hooded figure said. Ahsoka-that-was-really-Krell laughed.

"Yes. Kill me. Kill the traitor to the republic who killed your brothers." She giggled. Rex's head hurt, agony lancing through him as his head cleared, every background thought being replaced with a loop of 'Good soldiers follow orders.'

Rex fired, once, twice, and a third time. He couldn't control his hands, his fingers curled around the triggers and squeezed without his permission. Every shot hit her in the stomach, and suddenly whatever trance Rex had been in broke.

He ran forward to catch her as she gulped for air, on her knees hunched over the smoking wounds in her stomach. She looked up at him, fear written across her face.

"Rex." She gasped, reaching out to him. It was her voice. Rex's pulse was pounding in his ears as he knelt by her side.

"Lean back, lean against me. There you go." He rambled shakily, sitting behind her and helping her lean back. "It'll make it easier to breath. Oh force. MEDIC! HELP!" He yelled into the forest surrounding them, even though he knew it was useless.

Ahsoka looked up at him, giving him a soft smile even as she gasped and curled around her stomach.

"It... It wasn't your fault, love." She whispered, reaching up a shaky hand to brush away tears he didn't even know were there. "You had no choice, understand me? It wasn't... wasn't your fault-" she cut herself off with a small cry, her brow creased in agony. Rex held her close, breathing hard as she coughed.