Chapter Five: Nightmares

"I respect your boundaries, your rights as a bounty hunter. But I need you to know that I'm in this for the long haul, whatever it takes. You can kick me off right now but I want to let you know that I'm not leaving without having said my peace. I love that kid, and I care about you too. I know we have a lot to go through, but I'm willing to do this. I don't know what it all entails, bringing the kid to his own people, having him choose his own path, but I at least want to try. Because I didn't give enough of a fight last time something like this happened, and I'm not going to do it again."

The Mandalorian eyed her for the longest time, Grogu's dark eyes staring back at her as well. She waited, taking a deep breath until he finally said,

"It'll be dangerous."

"I know," Thell admitted.

"I'm a Mandalorian. You know I can handle this task myself."

Thell threw her hands up defensively. "I'm... I'm not saying all of this just because I don't think you could do it, in fact... you're probably one of the best qualified people in the galaxy to do it."

"Then why offer to help?"

Thell hung her head, debating her answer as she eyed the skyline of Coruscant just beyond the Razor Crest.

"I...I know it sounds kind of selfish, but I don't have anywhere else to go. I don't know anyone else, Mando. And even though the circumstances have been... strange, to say the least, I've enjoyed my time. And I'm not totally useless... I did save his life once or twice, if I remember correctly."

Thell risked a glance at him, tentatively, until she looked at the kid again.

"I could still help with whatever you need, and I promise I won't get in your way. I mean, you've probably needed help before, right?... I'll stay out of your business. And when this is all over, I'll find my own way. I promise."

A long pause. "It won't be easy, Thell."

She set her shoulders. "I know the risks. But I'm alone right now. My parents, my home, everything I've ever known is gone. I don't have somewhere to call my own. So what do I have to lose?"

"You know you could risk getting a bounty placed on your head, too?"

Thell nodded. "I'm aware. But... he's more important to me than any of that."

She let her gaze linger on Grogu, held tightly in the Mandalorian's arms. Reaching one arm out, she delicately let her hand rest on his head, rubbing his ear with her thumb. He murmured happily, wrapping one small hand around her thumb.

"Okay."

Thell's eyes drifted back to the Mandalorian's helmet, to the V slit, and she could feel her heart beat a little faster. "Really?"

"Yes."

"I promise I won't bother you incessantly, or ask a million questions. I know you don't like that."

"You know how to shoot?"

"Uh," Thell stuttered. "Not particularly."

"You'll have to learn if you want to stay." As the Mandalorian spoke, Thell could feel her heart rise with joy. "And look after the kid. I'll show you how to pilot the Razor Crest too just in case of any emergencies."

"Okay."

"It's not easy work. This life... It's not easy."

Thell smiled, just a small, crooked smirk in his direction. "Wouldn't want it any other way."

Because when he clapped her playfully on the shoulder, and the baby cooed in joy, Thell could only feel more at home than she had ever been.

They started slow, gathering some remaining supplies on Coruscant and flying off into hyperspace for another time. The Mandalorian was still quiet, no more talkative than he had been when she was only supposed to stay with them for a month. That had passed now, and while he had opened up to her some, he was still quiet.