Chapter Three

The next day, Sokka woke to Toph shaking him.
"Get up slacker, breakfast is ready for you."
"What are we having?"
"Starch eggs! Katara made them."
"If she's cooking, I'm not eating." Katara was a notoriously bad cook, Zuko was an amazing one.
"But you are getting your sorry butt out of here and at least sitting at the table so  you'll be awake for the braille lesson today."
"Fine."

They all slept in one tent, so it wasn't weird that she had been inside the tent where he slept. But what he did wonder was why Katara hadn't woke him up, that was usually her job.

They arrived at the make shift table, Katara was putting down this sheets of rock that curled up around the rim to make a plate, it was the ones that Toph had made.

"So, how exactly am I going to read braille?" Sokka asked, skeptical of his own abilities.
"You're going to put your hand on the rocks with six dots where the rock goes upward, and then I'll make some go higher than the others and tell you what letters I'm making until we get it through your thick skull to your small brain captain boomerang."
"Okay, that's enough." Katara said, putting the "eggs" down on the table.

"What are you teaching him today again Toph?" Katara asked.
"Braille." Toph replied, shoveling food down her throat.
"Isn't that a little hard for so early on in teaching him?"
"Yesterday she made me take off my clothes so she could mark them." Sokka cut in.
Toph shot him a glare.

"Toph! You can not make people undress!"
"Neither of us could see anything. Besides, he was wearing his underwear."
"Still! A woman and a man should not be alone together in their underwear!"
"To be fair I only took of my shirt so I could show him the braille in it."
"She did only take her shirt off."

Katara's face was pale at the thought.

*~*

"Put your hand on the ground Soks."
"Why?"
"You'll see."

Sokka put his hand on the ground, and a moment later he felt six bumps in a rectangle shape come up out of the ground.
"Ahh!"
"Relax meathead, those are just the six Braille signs."
"Oh."

Suddenly, the top left dot came up higher.
"That, idiot, is called A."
They continued the letters, and he memorized up to d before zoning out. It took about two hours to get through the whole alphabet.

"Alright Soks the slacker, we're done for the day."
"Finally!"

*~*

"I'm starved!"
"Oh yes Snoozles, because we didn't stop for three snack breaks in two hours." Toph jabbed, teasing him as usual like there was no tomorrow.

"Alright dinner is ready!" Aang called from the fire, binging the fire to a close with water from the humidity in the air.

"Alright twinkle-toes! Bring out your food and may everyone be grateful we're not eating another night of Katara's cooking!"

"Hey." Katara swatted playfully at Toph, as she grabbed the ladle and dipped in info the soup, coaxing it all to stay in the ladle as she brought it carefully to the tip of the bowl.

Just then, a shadow passed over the campsite, and they all froze. Katara stopped coaxing the soup, Aang stopped moving entirely, and Toph and Sokka say there quietly, confused.

"What the fuck is going on?" Toph asked bluntly.
"I think we're supposed to remain quiet Toph." Sokka said through gritted teeth.
"Who the hell cares Royalist?"
"Never mind."

"It's me!" Someone called down, and Katara jumped up, and waved her hand in the air, exited for some strange reason.

"Sugar Queen, sit down this instant. It's just Sparky."
"And Suki." Aang added.
"Suki?" Sokka was understandable in his cowardly actions. Suki was a anyone other than herself kicking badass, and he was a nonbender boomerangless nobody without his sight. Plus, their break up had ended on bad terms, and that was the last time they had seen each other.

"Yes Suki, ponytail."
Sokka gulped.

A/N: Here is chapter three!