Chapter Two

Katara, was less surprised than Toph felt she should have been.
"This was a pretty strong possibility Toph, and you need to help him adjust."
"Oh no you don't Katara, I have metalbending, I can see, this guy is like, actually blind! Besides, isn't there some magic healing thing to make this all go away?"
"No there isn't. And you were just born knowing medalbending? There must have been a time when you couldn't see."

"That was 10 years ago!"
"You must remember something? You could try not medalbending for a while and learn together?"
"No way am I giving up medalbending, even for snoozles."
"Please try Toph."
"No."
"Sokka needs this Toph."
"He can need it elsewhere."

*~*

As Sokka sat in the tent, waiting for someone to come and help him do whatever or talk to him or anything really, he thought. First he thought about being blind and what that would mean, then he thought about how he couldn't use medalbending like Toph. Then he thought about Toph crying, and how he wanted to protect her. He wanted to hug her, and tell her everything was alright. And, he wanted to... well no he didn't exactly want to do anything but that. Keep her safe and happy, forever.

But he couldn't do that from a tent, in the middle of the woods, blind with nobody to help him. That's why he was exited when the flap opened.

"Hey Snoozles, wanna go fishing?"
"How would we go fishing, we're both blind?"
"Hooks idiot, hooks."
"Okay, sounds good to me."
He got up, and did his best to remember the tents layout from yesterday's plans. He bumped into about thirty things on his way out, but eventually Toph just helped him.

"So Snoozles, What has been going on with the whole blind thing?" She said as they walked to the lake.
"I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the world." Replied Sokka.
"Sounds about right for a newbie, yeah."

*~*

At the lake, Toph got out a bunch of fishing nets and hooks, and gave them to Sokka. "Fish away!" She has said after taking her own. Then she helped him locate the lake, and he started fishing.

It went well for a while, but eventually Sokka got a fish on the hook, and he lurched forward, Toph did to. She didn't get there in time, but she did put up a rock slate to catch him.

As she realized what could have happened, Toph mentally slapped herself, because this was he fault that he nearly hit his head again, and this time, he might have died.

"That's it Snoozles."
"What's it?"
"I'm teaching you how to be blind."

*~*

When Katara found out, she was absolutely thrilled.
"That is great! Your going to do awesome Toph, I just know it."
"Yeah, sure whatever."

Toph felt as though the world had turned her life upside down. I mean, she had give up her sight and help Sokka learn to do something she had forgotten how to do herself.

"I think it's great! This camping trip will go on without a hitch from now on. It's a shame Zuko and Suki couldn't make it." Aang announced happily.
"This camping trip was a mistake." Toph muttered under her breath.

Katara ignored her. "I agree Aang, this reunion will be the best we ever had!"
"This is our first one." Toph said, reaching to take a roll of bread with Katara's hand guiding her.
"True, but that's doesn't matter."

"Snoozles, after we eat, you get a lesson from me, 'kay?"
"Sure chief."
"Someday Sokka, I'm going to become a chief so that it's not an insult anymore."
"I believe it."

*~*

After dinner, Toph brought Sokka outside.
"Sokka, give me your clothes."
"Wait what? No."
"Yes. I need to mark them. Bring me all your clothes and then get undressed to your underwear so I can mark the clothes your wearing."
"But I don't even know how to read braille!"
"You'll learn."
And eventually, after lots of back and forth cursing and name calling, she won.
"Fine, it's not like you can see anything anyway."
"Exactly."

And so, around ten minutes later they had the clothes laid out in-font of them, and she was asking him what colors he thought each piece of  clothing was, and marking its cloth with braille, and if he didn't know they would say gray.

"Alright Sokka, we're done for the day, you'll get your first lesson in braille tomorrow."
"Goodnight Toph."
"Goodnight Soki."