Lust, Lace and Love Part 3

"I do wish you could stay, though I must admit I am a little jealous you get to leave. William's Aunt has made no secret of the fact she dislikes me." Faye said as William sighed gently. "Pay her no heed my darling, I do not need her approval as to whom I chose to marry." He said firmly as Elizabeth held a hand to her heart. "I do so dearly hope that I find such love as you two.""Are you not courting a certain Corporal Shentall?" Claire said as Elizabeth felt a slight blush creep to her cheeks. "He and I may have been writing to one another, though sadly his brigade are now stationed near the West Coast." Elizabeth said rather forlorn at the fact. "You will visit before you depart for Shoreton will you not?" William implored as Faye looked hopeful of the distraction. "Indeed we shall, we were going to venture to the city of Bath should you both wish to join us." Ian said as William sighed slightly. "I cannot, I have to meet with my solicitor in regards of the changes to my will once we are married, however you go. I detest the thought of you been subjected to my insufferable aunt and cousin whilst I shall be in the town." William said as he took hold of Faye's small hand. "If you wish to, you may go with Ian and the ladies. I could meet you at Shoreton in a few days when I have dealt with the matters I need to." William ventured. Faye shook her head slightly, her golden curls, slipping slightly from the loose bun they were in. "They may be somewhat indifferent to myself but it is bearable whilst you are with me." Faye said as Ian snorted.
"I never thought I should see the day, my friend William Evans would finally find a lady who satisfied him with both her character and her beauty. Well done Miss Faye." "Ian, you make me sound like some heathen." William stated as Claire giggled slightly, the ribbon of her bonnet flapping a little in the breeze. "Still come with us to the town Faye, we were planning to visit the gallery and I know you should enjoy that." Claire said as she hugged her sister.

"Look at such lower class displays of affection." Edith commented as she glanced through the sash window to the courtyard where the carriage to take Mr Watkins and his companions to the rooms at the inn they had hired. "You are quite correct Mother. William must have leave of his senses to wish to marry into such a situation." Margaret commented as she sighed. "Do you truly think your plan shall work?"

"It is worth trying is it not. You have always liked William and he was your constant companion for several years." Edith said as she looked at her daughter. "You are not doubting my actions are you?" She ventured as her daughter shook her head meekly.
"No mother, of course not. I jus...I wander if he will ever doubt her family, he seems very attentive and seemingly infatuated." Margaret said as she picked up her book from the side.

"I suspect I have never felt so unwelcome in such a grand place. Is William's aunt so hostile to anyone who she deems beneath her?" Claire asked as the carriage headed through the countryside to the nearby town where their rooms were. "Sadly yes. When William first introduced us as his friends, she looked at us as if we were beggars from the East End. Still it will not matter. It may be that William and Faye were somewhat forced into their arrangement but I for one suspect that each is very happy in the situation." Elizabeth said with a smile. "Do you suppose she shall have us all as bridal attendants? You and Charlotte, William's sister shall no doubt be asked to be attendants but I should rather like to be one too." Elizabeth said as Ian chuckled. "Oh I suspect Faye shall insist on such. Though I cannot fathom what she might need three attendants for." Ian said teasingly.

"Mother? I don't suppose you have seen the ring I took off earlier whilst I was embroidering?" Margaret said as she wandered into the parlour of the large estate. William was working over some paperwork whilst Faye sat opposite him, supposedly reading though every so often she would look up and smile softly at him. "Does my nephew have something on his face that requires you to glance at him so frequently?" Edith said in a sour voice from the large couch she was seated on. "No M'am." Faye said rather wishing she was able to stand up to the bitter old woman but not wanting to make things even more awkward for herself and William. "Sorry Margaret, my attention was somewhat diverted. You were saying?""My ring, the ruby one, the one that was Grandmother's. I swear I left it earlier in the drawing room but I cannot find it anywhere." Margaret said. "Have you spoken with the housekeeper? She may have put it aside for safe-keeping." Edith ventured as she hoped to make it seem realistic, that the ring was missing. "She says not. I do love that ring." Margaret said in a vexed manner.