XII - Remus

Venus was exceptionally bright, Remus noted. Sure, it wasn't exactly, as muggles called it, rocket science, but it was true. The planet of romance had decided to make itself prominent in the sky. It was almost ironic, to be on the Astronomy tower, looking at the planet of love... with the girl who was to be his true love. Fate played itself out in interesting ways it seemed.

Remus turned back to the girl smiling slightly. Now he was at least partially in his element. After all, Astronomy was one of his best classes, even if he did almost forget what planet it was. As long as he could focus on the Astronomy as supposed to the person who he was discussing it with. "Yeah, it really is bright." He said, shifting his gaze back to Venus. "It means that somewhere out there, two people are falling in love, beginning a fairytale romance."

He smiled for effect, though it was far from what he was actually thinking. Could it be that those two people who Venus was playing matchmaker with was the two of them? It was impossible. The Roman Goddess of love wasn't real. She wasn't what was controlling all of this. It couldn't be. If the girl who he was with tonight would end up loving him, it would not be because of an ancient goddess. Remus would have to make that happen himself... like that was possible.

Remus shifted his eyes back to the girl, realizing after the fact that it was probably a bad idea. As soon as his eyes fell on her, his heartrate started climbing back up into the dangerous numbers. When he looked at her, he felt himself blushing, and his mind stopped working right. Remus closed his eyes for a second, only then realizing that he probably sounded like some sentimental dope. "That is, if you beleive in that sort of thing." He added, trying to make it sound natural, but presumably failing miserably. He was hopeless at this.

That was right. Aphrodite was greek, the romans only stole the idea. "She was born out of seafoam, captivating all of the gods. Every other guy too I guess." Remus stated. Venus/Aphrodite had always interested him. "It's said that her offspring were the ancestors of today's Veelas." He said, remembering another factoid about Venus. This would possibly turn into an intellectual conversation. That is, if Remus could manage to keep himself an intellectual human being... which was perhaps placing his hopes up a little too high.

"A mix between the sun and the moon... I guess that's because love lights up the whole world." OK... so now Remus was resigned to quoting from extremely horrible girly romance movies. He felt his heart beating even faster with the comment. There went his cover, he was sure of it. Talking about love with someone you don't know but are trying to make fall in love with you was probably a bad idea. Once again the world began to start spinning. This couldn't be happening. Just as the conversation was getting intellegent, Remus had to mess up like that. He truly was hopeless as far as romance went. Especially since he still didn't know the girl's name.

"Yeah... fascinating stuff isn't it? Mythology is one of my favorite things to read about actually." Remus said, grinning. So, he was still practically hyperventelating, and he still didn't know her name, but they had something in common. This was turning out pretty well all considered. Mythology was a hobby. Tonight, it seemed to be turning into his savior.

"Who's interested in Mythology?" Remus repeated the question, amusement in his voice. "Well, me for one. Like I said, I love that stuff. The ancients were far better storytellers than anyone is today." He replied, grinning. It was nights like tonight when Remus thanked his father for practically forcing him to get into that sort of stuff. The entire family had always been fascinated by the ancients... probably hence the origin of his own name.

"You like mummies?" Remus asked, now more interested than he had been even before. "I don't know that much about Egypt myself, but I bet I could list more pharohs than pro Quiddich players." Remus grinned, feeling himself begin to blush again. He was still almost dizzy from being so close to this girl. He was still sure that she could hear his heart beating a million miles per our. And he still wouldn't put fainting out of the realm of possibility.

Remus' blushing increased by tenfold with the next comment. She knew his name, and he was still clueless to hers. This wasn't good. Definately not good. He probably wouldn't be in any better a sitiuation if the lunar cycle decided to skip ahead two weeks. Actually that would probably be worse, because that might be dangerous. Yet, this was a sort of dangerous situation too. How could she know his name and he not know hers? Did that mean that he had already made some sort of an impression on her? Was it a good one or a bad one? Where had she ever seen him before. Maybe he was well known enough for being a maruader... but did most people at Hogwarts know the identities of the marauders and recognize them on sight?

"Well... you appear to be on a different page than I am. You know my name, and I still don't know yours." Remus admitted, quickly wishing he hadn't. Great, now he admitted that he didn't know her name. What if they had actually known eachother? Did this give off a wretched impression. It didn't really matter. He would have no chance with her anyway. His face was deep red, his breaths were extremely short, and his heart was beating even faster than it had been before, if possible.

Remus turned back from the sky, feeling as if he was far too close to the edge of a very high tower in the state that he was in. Falling off would be presumably fatal. That would definately be extremely bad. Yet, how he turned put the girl in his vision. The girl who knew his name even though he didn't know hers. How was he supposed to deal with this. Once again, running far away seemed to be his best bet. Once again, his legs refused to comply. This was no longer good, at all.