The wind blows north

The powder worked just like the Master Dreamweaver had said it would. Marcus found himself eating more than normal, and by the time he saw his mother again, a week after the Dreamweaver’s visit, his strength had returned to the point where he was able to stand up and take a few steps.

“Aurelia says you are improving greatly” his mother said.

“Oh yes.” Marcus said, sitting up. He was happy to see her. “the Dreamweaver gave me some medicine to take daily, and ever since, I’ve been feeling stronger each day.”

“And you are filling out.”

“Yes. I’ve been eating a lot too.”

“That’s good to hear. I’m so happy to have you back. You should tell me about your dreamwalk sometime.”

Marcus nodded. Then he remembered Iheanyi and sadness filled his mind.

“I hear you have been having bad dreams.” His mother said in a soft voice. “About the other place.”

“Yes.” Marcus said. “I think it’s a real place, but nobody seems to agree. They all think it's because my dreamwalking was for so long. But the dreams don’t stop. They come every night, in one form or the other.”

“I have sent for the Dreamweaver. When he comes, I’ll ask him about that.”

“I asked him about it.” Marcus said. “He said that dreams were not real and that I may be losing my mind.”

“He will tell me the truth.” His mother said with a smile. “Don’t worry too much about that.”

It dawned on Marcus that his mother was a truly powerful woman. Then he remembered Julius visit. He retrieved the scroll from where he had hidden it under his bed. He gave it to his mother.

“What's this?” She said.

“Julius said I should give it to you.” Marcus said.

Silently, his mother broke the seal and read the contents of the scroll. As she did, her brows furrowed, and her countenance became grave.

“Did he tell you any other thing?” she asked.

Marcus shook his head. “We spoke of a lot of things, but he just said I should give you the scroll. What’s it about?”

“It’s from the Lone Wolf.” She said. Her voice seemed faraway. “He intends to apply to the Matriarchy for Triumphant Procession to mark his victory over the Crimean League. He wants my support.”

“Is there anything wrong with that?”

“It depends. He is a Lone Wolf. He already wields too much power. Already, people are whispering that he should be proclaimed Sea Dragon. Dictator for life. If he is granted a procession, he may use it lavish gifts on the people and to bring even more people to his side. But there is an even greater danger. During the first part of the procession, the warships, including those he captured from the Crimeans would be allowed to cross the boundary and approach Archon.”

Marcus remained silent. He did not understand most of what his mother had just said, but he suddenly felt afraid of this Lone Wolf.

“Are you sure Julius didn’t say any other thing?” his mother said after a while. “Anything about the wind?”

“Yes he did!” Marcus said. “I just remembered. He said to tell you that the wind blows north. He said that you’d understand.”

His mother gasped.

“What’s wrong? Is it bad news?” Marcus said, alarmed.

“It’s the worst possible news.” His mother said. “The Republic is in peril. The Lone Wolf truly intends to take power. By force, if necessary”

There was silence in the room as his mother re-read the contents of the scroll again. Then she stood up abruptly.

“There are some things I need to do immediately. ” His mother said. She looked at Marcus and smiled. It looked forced to Marcus. “I’ll come back, soon”.