Part 28

I walked into work the next morning, to a very intense Jamal speaking to Sapphire about the cool car outside. I knew instantly Sapphire hadn't told him it was hers. She was just enjoying Jamal blabbing on about it. I could see her laughing internally.

When she saw the comical expression on my face I could see how bad she wanted to laugh: "Valentine, I think you should tell Jamal a little bit about the owner of that car."

Jamal looked at both of us frantically. And I started in an aloof manor "Oh well, ummm, let's see, the owner of this car. Hmmmmmh.Well the owner of this car is very beautiful, they are very sophisticated, they have very good taste in men, wine, music, films and novels. They have long dark wavy hair. And big brown dreamy eyes. They're someone I irreversibly fell in love with. And they can't keep their hands off me."

Sapphire got up and hit my arm playfully and said "Valentine!" I acted fast and grabbed her by the hips and I pulled her in for a kiss. All the while, Jamal was looking at both of us like we were crazy.

Jamal stood up and pointed to Sapphire slowly. I wish I could film his reaction but my phone was in my pocket. "Wait hold on, so that sexy ass car outside is yours?" Sapphire smiled and said "Yes it's mine."

She dug into the right side of her jean jacket pocket with her hand and threw a pair of keys to Jamal, Jamal caught them and she said "Go drive it around for a while. We can hold down the customers for the first half hour without you. And there's still an hour to opening."

Jamal looked like he was about to burst and he hugged Sapphire abruptly around her arms looking at me and said "Marry this girl." and then without a word, ran out to the car. We watched from inside as Jamal drove away with a big smile on his face.

Sapphire turned to me and stretched her arms out asking for a hug. I hugged her tightly. And then I put my lips near her ear and whispered "Will you marry me?" She said "Yes." I looked at her tenderly and said "Really?" She rolled her eyes as she started taking the chairs down "I mean I'm already yours, but if a piece of paper is important to you, I would be okay with that."

I said "Have we been married before?" Sapphire started laughing hard and said "Yes the first time. After that, you usually died before that." I looked at her in horror and said "Why?"

She looked at me with her expression immediately turning serious and caring: "Thats just the way of the universe. I don't know why it's like that. Its like we're cursed or something. Or at-least we were at-least for a few life times."

I said "How did you become immortal. I mean like who made this elixir you talk about and why did they make it, and how were they smart enough to make it? And why did all of you and your friends drink it? Why didn't I drink it?"

She kind of looked away, seeming overwhelmed and said "I knew you'd ask me these questions sooner or later."

In a slightly irritated tone I said "So answer them." She sat down. And took a deep breath before she looked at me with an expression I couldn't read and said:

"This is hard to explain. But at that time. Things like magic were more common and also real. You know how now everything's always in novels or films or shows? Back then it was real. It became more and more limited as the world progressed and science illuminated the world with its evolution. Anyways me and my friends, we were all children of these incredibly smart parents that were..... I guess what you'd call now-a-days, magicians, or avant-garde artists."

I listened attentively as she continued "My parents were incredibly caring and supportive and so were all my friends parents. They raised me my brother and my younger sister with tenderness."

She looked out of the window and started smiling to herself.

Then she continued. "They really loved you. They considered you their family too. But anyways, all of our parents were after immortality. I can't even explain to you how much searching and travelling they all did. I remember I was maybe 5 when they started. And then when I was 27 and Gaspard was 30, they found it. They found it and they offered it to us. To their disappointment. For some reason, un known to this day, the elixir only works on a human being up until they are thirty five. After that it's use-less. No matter how much you drink."

I asked "Does it extend your life at all?" She said "No. Not at all." I asked "And why did you all decide to drink it? And why didn't I drink it?" She made the sad expression she always made when she was conflicted with something inside: "I decided to drink it with all of our friends because I thought it was right. You didn't, because you didn't think it was right. You believed it was wrong messing with the natural way of life."

Now a bunch of questions started flooding my head: "How old did you say you were when you drank it?" She looked at me cautiously, as if I was prying her into a trap. "I was 27." And then I said "And how old was i?" She looked away from me before speaking "You were 27 also."

The wheels in my brain started turning and I started feeling really hot all of the sudden. "And you said we fell in love when we were 18? So that means we knew each other for nine years by that time, right?" She answered "Yes why?"

I looked at her straight in the eyes and said "Did we ever have any children? And is any of our blood line still around? Like 15 generations down the line or something? And what happened to our children. Like our main children?"

She looked away again and said "Can we talk about this another time, I mean customers are going to come in, in about twenty minutes. And calm down. Why do you look so red?"

Now I was angry. How could she not tell me this before, we had children together? I was a dad. What kind of dad was i? What kind of granddad was i? What were my kids like? And how were me and Sapphire involved with them? If I kept growing older. And Sapph didn't, how did that work? Did she go away out of our lives?

Did we just tell them? What age were they when we told them? Who was my blood line now? I could never prove to them I was their blood from hundreds of years ago. For the first time ever. I looked at Sapphire and felt nothing but anger. Right when I was about to erupt. The door chimed and Jamal came in.

"Yo Sapph you have to tell me the story of how you got that car." And he threw the keys to Sapphire.

When he looked at my face he said "What the hell is wrong with you?"