Chapter Two

Cobalt Bay, California

A year later...

At twenty-two, I shouldn't feel old but as I sat there in the cozy VIP room of a dark, smoke-filled club surrounded by drunk and disorderly people, old was all I felt.

Maybe it was finally time to ditch the crazy birthday parties.

Maybe next year, I should turn twenty-three at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro or underwater, swimming with dolphins. Somewhere where I didn't have to sit and smile and put up with people who came just to be seen or try to get into my pants.

Like this guy.

"So. I heard the famous Kady Lynn Jones is celebrating her birthday," he said as he came up the steps to our elevated and corded off area, holding two drinks and tailed by a couple of his buddies. He was cute and practically busting out of his extra-tight shirt. "I'm Brax Lewis. Thought I'd buy you a drink, babe."

Dude. Just no.

"He owns Cali Body, the gym chain," Sidney muttered in my ear without an attempt at subtlety. As a food and lifestyle columnist at the local paper, Sidney Cheng knew everyone in the Cobalt Bay social scene.

I smiled up at Brax whose name I immediately judged to be as ridiculous as the size of his pecs, but made no move to take the drink he offered or budge from the lounger where I was practically draped in nothing more than a short, black, lacy slip of a dress. I knew I looked like a serving of generous curves and long, luscious legs but I dressed however I liked and most of the time that meant little fabric. I was resigned to the fact that there was no point in trying to cover up all the time. I could be wearing a sack and I would still get called out for being indecent.

If I'm going to get crucified anyway, I might as well enjoy sinning.

"Thanks but I have a personal policy against taking open drinks from strangers," I said, tipping him a small smile. That was as generous as I'd get with him tonight.

He took that refusal in stride. "We don't have to be strangers for very long. Give me five minutes and I can fix that."

I raised my brow at the audacity. "That quick, huh? I'm surprised you think it's supposed to tempt women."

"That's not what I meant," he countered, flushing and slightly disgruntled. "I last longer than that."

"Hmm. A get-to-know-you that's longer than five minutes," I mused. "That'll make any woman feel special."

Brax frowned at me for a second. "You're talking circles around me."

I smiled and picked up my own drink for a sip. "Yeah. I was bored and you were presumptuous."

Unfortunately, instead of pissing him off, he smiled and found it amusing. "Phew! I was warned you can be difficult with men."

True or not, I didn't care for it.

"Difficult is what men would call women who don't snap to attention at their mere presence," I said. "But don't let me ruin the lie for you."

"He's not hard on the eyes, Kady," Sidney mumbled with a gentle nudge of his elbow to my side. He usually enjoyed watching a slow-motion train wreck but he's got an agenda tonight.

Brax glanced at him in irritation. Clearly, he hated having an audience to his rejection. Even his pals behind him were trying not to snicker.

"Fine. Maybe we can talk business if that's more your style," he said, straightening himself back to dignity. "I was thinking we can explore the opportunity of you representing my brand."