the gamemaster's ending - alternate ending to 'the game'

warning: mentions of attempted suicide, captivity, murder (not described) and mental break.

day 100

(Y/n)'s heart felt as if it was beating out of her chest.

Time marched on and a decision was still yet to be made.

The message hung on the screen, taunting her.

"I...I don't know!" She wanted to pull her hair out in the frustration of it all but felt paralysed to sitting on her bed.

Time passed too quickly, minutes felt like milliseconds and before she knew it there were new words on the screen.

Two minutes remaining... Time's running out.

(Y/n) gritted her teeth, a name was in the back of her throat but she didn't dare say it.

Hana promised to give her freedom, that was the obvious choice, wasn't it?

But Owen understood her, he had listened to her and comforted her when she was at her worst.

Then there was Tim... there was more to him and she knew it. He made her feel like not only was he helping her but she was helping him too.

And Dottie swore she loved her more than the rest did, her smile held the promise of so many happy days ahead.

But there was also Eli who had such an earnest intention to protect her.

She felt like she loved all of them... Or at least she felt like she should love them. But it was a love that left her heart feeling emptier still.

"I...have no idea." She whispered out.

Those words had preempted the very end.

Time's up.

A cry was torn from (Y/n)'s throat... She should be happy, it was finally over... but instead she felt all too torn.

The fate of her housemates had been sealed, she had killed all the other players.

With the sound of the bell she lifted her head weakly.

Congratulations, (Y/n). This is what you've been waiting for, isn't it?

(Y/n) scoffed through a sob. "It doesn't feel like it."

It's not so bad... I could've sworn you wanted them dead not long ago. You're getting what you wanted.

"I never wanted anyone to die." She said firmly.

Apart from yourself.

(Y/n) flinched at the words that cut through her and turned away.

"Can you unlock the door now, I thought I could leave now..."

She heard the bell chime once more but didn't look to the screen, she instead turned her attention to the door handle and shook it to no avail.

"Come on! You said I could go!!"

The bell chimed again, this time made (Y/n) turn.

My game, my rules. I can change them if I wish.

"So what? You're gonna kill them and keep me here??"

Not exactly.

That had been the last (Y/n) heard from the Gamemaster for quite a few hours. If she didn't feel so nauseous then she probably would have felt pretty hungry since the last time she'd eaten had been last night. Her throat was dry too but (Y/n) hardly even noticed.