☽ XXVI ☾

The sun was mocking Lila. She knew it was as she sat on her bed, staring out the window. Her arms were feverish as she hugged herself tightly. She left her window open last night, but she never felt like closing it. Tears began to slide down her face. A knock made her snap out of her thoughts. She sniffed, wiping her eyes.

Emily slowly opened her door, dressed in their funeral regalia. Her eyes were probably the same as Lila's. Emily smiled softly and spoke, "It's time to go."

Lila wondered how Emily could smile at this time. She felt that the world was against her and everyone she loved. How could everything have changed so much?

Lila nodded and stood up. She followed Emily down the stairs and helped her carry the food they were taking. The sun's rays blinded her for a moment, making Lila halt on the porch. The sun shouldn't be out, she bitterly thought. There's nothing to be happy about today.

Her scream was lost in the ear-busting ripping noise that echoed throughout the beach. The locals glanced towards the direction, but saw the clouds looming over the horizon and looked the other direction. In the front yard of a house where bright red and blue lights shined, a few heads turned with a knowing look.

She could feel her limbs meet the sand and found herself in control of them. That didn't matter to her at the moment. Anger flowed through her veins as her vision zeroed in on one object. A deep vibration erupted from her chest, feeling her face-snout wrinkled up into a snarl. Her body hummed with the thirst to kill, her hands-claws digging themselves deeper into the sand. She was ready, her instincts told her.

Right when her body was ready to throw herself forward, a voice broke through to her.

"Lila."

Her gaze broke, but her vision was still blurry. A figure was talking to her, but she couldn't hear over the clashing emotions within her. She saw his eyes first. Familiar dark-brown eyes she had stared into for years. Eyes she grew to love. A string snapped into place making the connection clear and strong. Like glass shattering, her anger disappeared and fear replaced it. Her vision cleared up as she saw Jacob standing up now, his eyes reflecting the feeling in her chest, mixed with concern.

She glanced to her side and saw Sam, matching Jake's expression. She looked back at Jake and could make out Bella behind him. She was sitting up, but Lila could smell the fear rolling off her. The scent was so strong that it made everything worse for her.

A cry escaped her throat, realizing what she almost did. The control she felt earlier was now slipping away as she was more aware that her body was not her body. It was a wolf's body. She abruptly backed up, her whimpers now evidently showing how frightened she was.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart. Look at me, " She heard her uncle gently speaking from her side.

Lila wanted to believe him. She wanted to look at him. But all she saw was the fear in Jake's eyes, not realizing his fear could be different from hers. Ignoring her uncle's calls, she forced herself to run, She staggered, but eventually disappeared into the forests.

Cars filled up the driveway and the open field was used as a parking space. She wouldn't be surprised if all of the residents of La Push was here. She didn't blame them. Lila kept her head down as she followed Emily into the Clearwater's House. People were quietly chatting to themselves and a few cries here and there. Lila briefly spoke to those who called out her name, catching up with people who knew her, but she couldn't remember them.

Emily mentioned she was going to find her uncle. Lila didn't reply back, but she did walk to the kitchen to drop off the food.

The house itself wasn't small, but she began to notice everyone was mingling outside. People have asked why she wasn't out the service, but she couldn't bring herself to answer them.