Carter behaves like a coward

"Look, son. You don't have to do this." Dad said to Anubis.

Waaaaaait. Anubis is Osiris's son, and I'm Julius Kane's daughter. Since both of them is the same person, doesn't that make Anubis my half-brother? 

I'm going to throw up.

Despite all better judgement, "I would," I said, and meant it.

"Very well, Anubis?" Dad said to Anubis. 

"I'll start the transition, then. Sadie, stay calm. It takes trust from both sides. Open your mind to me, and let me in you." Anubis said, and grimaced. "It sounds so wrong."

"When did you start talking so casually?"

"Since I met Nico di Angelo." 

Who's that? A rock band? A Youtuber? 

"Don't know, don't care anymore." I settled for that.

Carter looked even paler.

I had a horrible feeling in my gut about what happened to me. I could touch spirits like they were living. I could feel my way through the dark. I walked to Disturber and touched his scroll. Instantly, it crumbled to grey dust. 

Since he was partying happily, he didn't see it.

Anubis's mouth twitched. He looked at me amusingly. "You shouldn't do that." was all he said.

Carter buried his face into his hands. He looked like he was watching a horror movie. Mom floated towards him and tried to console him.

Dad looked at me. Make your choice.

It was sick and twisted, yet logical to have him in me. Anubis, sharing the same body with me. I am a descendant of destruction. I may as well have forged a path of evil and death if I wasn't careful.

I finally understood why Carter looked so horror-struck. This IS a horror movie.
______________________________________________

I made my choice. I kept telling myself this. I made the right choice. I will not lose one more person anymore.

"Yes," I said. Carter gasped in horror. I looked at him funny. He looked like a 5-year-old. Years and centuries of deaths and shadow and storm slammed into me, the thousands of grieving souls that all ended up cradled in Anubis's hands, being transported to the Land of the Dead.

Anubis locked eyes with me. "Just a little more. 99 per cent done. Don't shut down your computer."

"You've hung out with Carter for too long," I snapped.

"I didn't."

"Did too."

The lat of the memories trickled into me. The most vulnerable, chilling moments of Anubis's life.
Set, seeing his son for the first time, sneering at him and pushing him away.
Nephtys, embracing her son and fleeing to Osiris's place and begging for her son's asylum from his father.
Osiris's gentle fingers ran through the soft, black furry head of a tiny Anubis's jackal head. The young jackal purred contently and rubbed back on his father figure, then snuggled into his lap.
Horus's jealousy and daily beatings by using him as a training doll.
Anubis talking it upon himself to practice in the dark, using his own path to decimate and destroy, then forging his own battle armour.
The horror and anguish as he realized what Set had done to his dad, and rushed to resurrect him in the only way he can. 
Then the thousands of people who rejoiced in Osiris's resurrection and didn't thank him once as he stood to the side.

Anubis held hands with me. 

Suddenly, I felt a tugging sensation in my brain. 

Hello, Sadie. Can you feel me? Someone spoke in my mind.

Yes. I forgot how annoying it was to have a god in my brain. They kept on talking and talking, even when I needed to concentrate.

Anubis must have read my thoughts because he said, I won't bother you, actually. I'll need you as a host, but I can appear as a person outside you. It's just that our lives are tied together. See? I'm still standing right next to you.

He was right. When I opened my eyes, he was still beside me, holding my hand.

But something felt different. I felt stronger and calmer. I understood him, not as an untouchable god of death, but as a friend, still weak and in pain, but durable and weathered by the years and years of love and friendship and teamwork.

Wow, I thought.

Yeah, came a reply. Anubis was smiling at me.

I locked eyes with him. So it's bad enough I have to talk to you at all, now I can even talk to you through my thoughts?

It sounded harsher than I meant it to be. He frowned and spoke in my mind: Is it not okay?

Nah. Not really. But you're still annoying sometimes.

Takes one to know onw. He smirked.

I looked at Carter. He whimpered when he saw me. Dad held him. "Your sister's happy. That's all enough, Carter." 

Carter nodded, still shaking. 

"I think that's enough excitement for one day. Till we meet again, Carter and Sadie. You too Anubis. Take care of her, okay son?"

"Yes, Lord Osiris." He bowed to Dad, and Carter joined us to walk out of a portal that Dad summoned.

From the Hall of Judgement to the terrace on Brooklyn House, Carter avoided me.