Chapter Three-Part Two

Start from the beginning

      She dreaded what would happen when they made it home.

~~~~~

      Karmen kicked her shoes off as she stepped into her apartment. She had a decent time at the casino; she watched Michaela win big, then when the blonde was gambling herself she had a guy flirt with her, and she won a thousand dollars. The only negative was that Alyssa text her saying that they had lost all of Toby's money. She wondered if they found a solution for that yet. Not only that, but Frank had been nagging in the back of the mind the whole day. She debated if she should call him. But every time she questioned that, she thought it made her seem desperate or crazy, so she refrained from doing so.

      With a sigh, she plopped onto her couch and turned on the television. For ten minutes, she mindlessly watched a reality TV show. Then, her phone rang. She shot up, reading the contact name. Frank.

      She picked it up quickly. "Hey."

      "Hey. I called Laurel."

      "Oh. How'd that go?"

      "I was talking and she hung up on me."

       Despite herself, she barked a laugh. "You didn't even get to finish your speech?"

      "'Cause she hates me."

      Karmen shook her head. "I don't think so. Maybe she backed out of helping?"

      "Why would she do that?"

      With a tauntful smile on her face, she said, "Maybe she's helplessly in love with you." She heard him chuckle on the other end. 

      "That's too bad for her."

      "Oh yeah? Why's that?"

      "I'm only interested in one woman."

      She paused momentarily. It was nice to hear things like that, considering the circumstances the two were under.

      Keeping up the banter, she responded, "Ooh, did Annalise send a hitwoman after you? Did you two go from enemies to lovers that fast?"

      "Yeah, that's what happened. I fell for the person that tried to kill me."

      The two fell silent, basking in each other's presence, even if they couldn't see each other. Karmen was just glad he didn't decide to ignore her again. 

      "You alright?"

      Her attention reigned back in on Frank. "Oh, yeah. I actually won some money at the casino today."

      "Tell me about that."

      She recanted her day, starting with the trial and ending with her leaving the casino. Frank ended up calling Michaela an idiot, to which she didn't disagree. He then told her events from his day, which weren't nearly as exciting as her own. The two conversed endlessly, until Karmen realized something.

      "Wait, should we be talking this long? Your phone could be tracked."

      "Nah, it's fine. I'm moving tomorrow."

      "Okay."

      They talked through the night, until exhaustion weighed down on Karmen. A yawn escaped her lips.

      "I'll call you later."

      She didn't object. "Okay. Talk to you soon."

      Silence enveloped the air as he hung up. She simply laid down on her couch, staring up at the ceiling. She imagined Frank coming home once more, a grin lingering on her face. She felt serious about him.