"Perhaps we are the firsts to arrive here," Edmund suggested from behind.

"Or maybe it just came out from the blue," Eustace spoke up, in a sarcastic way, receiving some glares from his companions, "you know, since we are in..." he started do explain.

"Look!" Lucy interrupted him, calling everyone attention, "what's that?" she asked, pointing to some rocks between the trees.

The group approached the point to take a look. They found a stone arch carved by numerous runes, which seemed to give access to an underground tunnel.

"It's a cave?" the girl suggested.

"It seems so," her brother said, leaning forward, "but how do we get..." he couldn't continue the sentence as he fell into the hall, letting out a scream.

"Edmund!" Lucy yelled, as Elizabeth hastened to circle her waist to prevent her from following him.

It was only a few moments before a thud reached their ears, soon followed by the voice of the boy. "I'm all right!" he shouted. The girls, Caspian and Eustace let out a sight of relief, even if the latter would have never admitted it.

"Ed? How is it down there?" the man asked him.

"Ehm, it's dark. I can't see a lot. And wet." he responded. "O my god!", he then exclaimed.

"What is it? Ed? What's happening?" Lucy immediately inquired.

"You have to see this!" he answered, "Come down!" he then added.

The three exchanged confused looks but eventually decided to do as they had been told and slipped into the tunnel. They landed in a thin mirror of water and, once they were back on their feet, the sight that appeared to their eyes was truly stunning. The cave housed hundreds of crystals of all shapes, colors and sizes, illuminated by a blue flame that danced in the center.

"The fire lit from nowhere, it wasn't here before," Edmund told them, hugging his sister.

"My name is Hirluin," the flame spoke solemnly, calling their attention, "I am the guardian of the Crystals," it said.

Hearing its voice the group walked closer to it. They were all amazed at the sight of the spirit, all except Elizabeth, she was paralysed.

"What is this place?" Lucy gently asked it.

"You are in the Crystal Cave, the place where all knowledge of the world is preserved," it replied. "When a crystal glows it shows events that were, that are, or that are yet to occur. Beware, for the crystals show only the truth, but future truths are not as solid as a rock, they are flowing like a stream, whose course can be modified." it explained.

The flame said no more, but continued to dance in the center of the cave without ever dying.

"So?" Eustace asked, "What do we do now?"

"Have a look?" replied Edmund, approaching a crystal.

His companions followed him, forming a circle around one of the stones. In a moment they were hit by a dazzling light and the landscape around them changed totally. A glade had taken the place of the cavern, dark and damp grass now reached their knees and a clouded sky overhung them. In the distance they could see the shape of a medieval town, partly hidden by fog.

"Where are we?" Lucy asked, looking around.

"It looks like..." Caspian began.

"A cemetery." concluded Elizabeth in a serious voice, approaching a tombstone.

There were graves all around them, confused in the fog, in a much higher number than anyone would have expected to find in Narnia. The air was heavy, almost unbreathable, as if imbued with the suffering of all souls whose corpses now lay beneath that earth.