Chapter 7

It was April. The weather warmed into those Northwestern partly-sunny Spring days. But the now three eviscerated bodies of Morana, Delora and Sephanie clouded people's thoughts. The "Field Dresser" was the subject of popular conversation. 

On campus or not, people were afraid. Their fear overshadowed any other news. Federal delisting of wolves in deference to Oregon's and other states' management went unnoticed. But ranchers and farmers continued to complain of eviscerated cattle. 

"I don't know what to think about it all," Edwin was saying. 

He and Wendy ran into Conner at the Memorial Union Java Stop. 

"No one does," she offered, coveting Edwin's attention. She was seeing less and less of him. She chased her jealousy with coffee, holding her cup with both hands. While they waited for the other two orders, she looked at Edwin from his hiking boots to his black hair. 

"I keep wondering." Conner accepeted his cup from the barista. "Could there be a connection between the murders and the cattle?" 

Wendy turned up a quizzical face. "Cattle?" 

Conner nodded. "Something's killing calves all over the southern Willamette Valley."

"And deer," added Edwin. "Surely the cops are looking into all that."

It was quiet between them a minute. Then Conner dismissed himself. "I'll be seeing you." He actually tipped his DU cap at Wendy. 

She blushed, watching him go, putting pieces together. Then she ran to catch up with Edwin, walking out onto the quad, "Hey, Edwin."

"Yeah."

"I need to ask you something."

He looked down at her. "Sure."

She held his eyes for a moment. "Don't hate me, okay?"

"Okay," he laughed. "What?"

"You don't.... You don't think.... I don't know. Like.... Could there be any connection between the 'Field Dresser' and.... like Conner said, cattle killings... with...." 

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "With?"  

She let it out, bracing herself: "With Lou." 

Edwin stopped walking, nonplussed. 

Wendy stopped and turned. "Sorry. Never mind." She held up her hands. 

"Damned straight, never mind!" He looked away and back at her. "What the hell, Wendy?" 

"I just... had to... ask." 

"Why? Why would you have to ask that?" He put his fingertips to his head. "She's your friend too!" 

But she's dating you. "I mean," Wendy gestured in earnest, looking around to avoid the anger in his eyes. She didn't want that. "She takes off in the middle of the night, doesn't she? And she comes back exhausted. Sacks out for the whole day!"

Edwin was walking away. 

She couldn't follow. But she pled: "It all started right after. They started right after she arrived! Edwin!!" 

After three months, the newness of the relationship had worn off. Things did stand out a bit more clearly. He damned Wendy for putting the suggestion in his head. Lou's absences in the night were an easy target. But in fact, he did not know. Where did she go? What did she do? He'd never asked. 

And still... this was against his better judgment. Lou had a right to her own life, to her own secrets. But now... he had his own questions. 

He lay awake. He feigned sleep. And he marveled how soundless she was as she slipped from sheets to the threshold. When she had time to clear the stairs, he peaked out the window as she looked back then turned right down the alley. He followed.