chapter twenty-five | the final hours

Start from the beginning

Today, he was going to make this the best day as much as possible, no matter what.

*******

Mary felt a tug at her chest when she saw Oliver Campbell at breakfast.

Guilty and angry were just the beginning to describe that day in the bathroom. Guilty because she felt terrible for lying to Oliver about what she was hiding, but angry at everyone else around her for letting it happen, for letting things turn into one big mess. Then again, she was aware that she was at fault for the most part.

Overall, she had become a mess ever since she moved here.

"Mary," Blaise said beside her.

She darted her eyes in his direction. "Yeah?"

"I asked what your plans were for the summer," he replied.

"Oh, um...I'm not sure," she said truthfully. She really didn't know what her plans would be once this year, as well as when the mission, (if they succeeded), was finished.

"Well, how about you spend some of it with me?" he suggested.

Mary raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Really?"

"Of course. You can finally meet my mum and her new husband." He let out a small chuckle.

Mary forced herself to do the same. "Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm sure they're nothing like my parents and Tobias."

"Is that a good thing?" he asked.

"Yes, definitely."

He shook his head. "I'm not too sure about that. It's complicated with my mum and her history with men."

Everyone has a complicated family, Mary thought. "Still, I'd like to meet her."

"And also get some alone time. You know, just the two of us," Blaise added.

Before she could answer back, someone cleared their throat behind her. Mary turned her head to find Draco taking a sip from his cup.

"I should get going, actually," Blaise spoke up, making Mary face him again. "I still have some packing I need to do." He gave her a peck on the lips and a smile, then getting up from the table and strolling away.

"He really does like you," Draco finally said something. Mary eyed the blond boy from across the table. "I'm serious. He wants you to spend the summer with him and meet his mum? That sounds pretty serious to me."

Mary thought her heart skipped a beat. "Yeah, I guess it is."

Draco sighed. "Too bad you won't be able to do any of that, especially after tonight."

The girl nodded her head in disappointment, knowing he was right. "I know." She didn't have the heart to lie to Blaise about why she wouldn't be able to spend time with him once the school year was over. Then again, leading him on with the thought that they would see each other over the summer wasn't right, either.

"You're getting nervous, aren't you?" he asked, eyeing her.

She nodded. "I mean, is it that obvious? The day is finally here."

He looked down at his plate. "I'm nervous, too."

Mary didn't say anything back right away. Instead, she got up from the table, with Draco following suit. The walk out of the Great Hall was silent, but Mary broke that once they were away from other students. "Whether we complete the rest of the mission or not, what happens after that?"

Draco shook his head. "I honestly don't know, and that's what scares me more than anything."

She looked at him and stopped walking. "Draco." He did the same and watched her. "No matter what happens, I've got your back." Without warning, she took his hand. "You've been a good friend, Draco."

He didn't pull away, but merely tightened his grip. "Same goes for you, Mary." He paused for a brief moment, then taking a deep breath before talking once more. "Now, we better go prepare for tonight."

So they let go of their sentimental moment and headed on, with the two trying to figure out a way to let the darkness take over their fragile souls.g a deep breath before talking once more. "Now, we better go prepare for tonight."

A/N: Well, it's about to get interesting.

This was kind of a filler chapter before we get to the major things, but I hoped you liked it, anyway.

Song above is Darkness Takes Over by Nicholas Hooper.

Comment, vote, get your popcorn ready.

-A