Chapter 2: The Second Old Photo

The photo was sent by e-mail, but Pan Zi knew nothing about it, so I spent a long time teaching him. When I finally received it, an hour had passed before I called him.

It was really a very old photo, yellowed with age and covered in faded marks. Despite this, I could still see what was in the photo, and understand why Pan Zi was unsure and thought it was a "ghost."

The old photo must have been taken in an old house with a screen in the background. The photo was so white that I couldn't see the details clearly, but I could see a figure standing right behind the screen.

With the light coming in from behind the screen, the figure was quite clear. What made it so creepy, however, was the person's posture. Ordinarily, people always shift their center of gravity when standing, but this figure was standing almost upright with their shoulders flat, which looked weird at first glance. My first impression was that this man was hanging in mid-air.

A dead man was hanging behind the screen?

I felt a little uncomfortable, but I couldn't understand why this photo would interest me. Would I look for him after seeing this picture? There seemed to be no such feeling.

I looked down at the photo again, and noticed that the floor was made of wood. On the left edge of the photo was a view that seemed to stretch on, which turned out to be a corridor behind the screen. Half of it was covered by the screen, but the other half could be seen. It wasn't clear at first glance, but if I looked carefully, I could see several doors on one side of the corridor.

At first glance, I felt that this scene was a little familiar. This kind of old feeling, coupled with the arrangement of rooms... I must have seen it somewhere, and it left quite an impression.

I dragged the mouse, and saw that there was print on the back of the e-mailed photo in Brother Chu's handwriting, which was obviously meant for me.

It said: 1984, Golmud People's Liberation Army Sanatorium.

I gasped, suddenly realizing that this was a picture taken in the abandoned nursing home in Golmud. My previous experience there flashed through my mind, but I didn't know which floor the corridor was on.

The sanatorium was where Wen-Jin and the others chose to hide from Uncle Three. Wen-Jin and her group had secretive backgrounds, and according to Uncle Three, they didn't know what research was being conducted. In this abandoned nursing home, someone filmed a large number of videos and watched their every move. There was even a person who looked very much like me, which made everything even more chaotic.

Why did Brother Chu have a photo of that place, was he also involved?

No, I thought, he had a very good relationship with Uncle Three. Could it be that Uncle Three entrusted him with something? Or asked him to do something... so he knows some inside information?

This was indeed very likely. If he really knew what had happened in the nursing home, it would be a pleasant surprise to me. But then again, what was this picture taken of?

For ordinary people, taking photos must have a subjective purpose, either to take a picture to commemorate or to preserve information. It's impossible to take a photo without meaning. At that time, there was obviously an opportunity for someone to take this photo in the sanatorium.

In my opinion, it wasn't possible that this picture was taken to commemorate something. The screen was very common and the shabby corridor was at the edge of the picture. It certainly wasn't taken for these reasons, which meant that this person wanted to photograph the shadow behind the screen.