Chapter Two: Names

Start from the beginning

Dread filled her until it was nearly overwhelming. Her master, the man that had practically raised her after her mother's death, was gone, and with it, his entire fortune and reputation. The house would be left to crumble and be ransacked by desperate looters. Others would come, looking for the servants, and sell them off to other masters, or worse. And she didn't want to be here to witness it.

As she stood in the silence and wreckage of her once home, the words of Thell's mother came back to her.

You stand for your own. You make your own path.

So with a quivering breath, she took the blaster in one hand and raced down the hallway towards her own chambers. Her belongings were small, even with her large pack, so by the time she had tracked down the Mandalorian at the landing pad, he was only just releasing the drop ramp of his ship. It wasn't large by any means, but looked comfortable enough for someone like him.

Sweat was beaded on her forehead from her rush to get things together and run after the Mandalorian, so she stopped several yards from him, allowing ample distance for the two of them to remain comfortable. The stars were bright overhead from the lack of lighting outside, but the wind was nipping against the bare skin around her neck. She pulled her cloak tighter, containing her warmth as the Mandalorian stopped in his tracks. Even from here, Thell could hear the sweet burbling sounds of the child, and even see him and his large ears poking around the Mandalorian's arm.

She swallowed before she spoke, and hoped that her words would allow her wishes to be fulfilled.

"My feet have never touched grass."

The Mandalorian turned, slowly, one hand resting on his holster and the other wrapped around the green alien.

"What?"

Thell sighed, and threw her hands down beside her. "I've never touched grass. Or dirt. Or, or a natural stream of water, or leaves on a tree. I've never touched any of it; I've rarely seen pictures. And you walk around with all your credits and your fancy ship like you don't have a care in the world, because I'm sure you don't. You get to walk on the earth everyday but I'm sure you've never thought twice about those in the galaxy that don't."

Thell let out a deep breath, one that simmered away any remaining anger or frustration she had. Now she was just embarrassed, digging the toe of her shoe into the platform while the Mandalorian remained completely silent just a few feet from her.

"I'm sorry," Thell said quickly. "I didn't mean for it to come across like that."

"What do you want?" The Mandalorian asked.

Thell's head shot up, and she could only stare back quizzically at the masked man. His question had no remorse, no bouts of anger threatening to rise up. He had asked her the same question before, but in a completely different manner.

Clearing her throat, she readjusted the bag at her side and kept a tight grip on the strap.

"I would like to come with you."

"Where to?"

"Anywhere but here."

"Hm," was the Mandalorian's simple response. "And what should I expect in return?"

Thell raised a brow. "Sorry?"

"Do you have payment?"

Thell gulped. She had feared that the question was coming, and suddenly felt lighter with the lack of credits in her pockets and satchel.

"I'll work for you, do whatever you need me to. Fixing up your ship, cleaning the carburetors, rinsing blood off your weapons, whatever. Watch after the ship while you're away. I'll do the dirty work, whatever work you don't want to do. I'll get a job somewhere and pay you back... double! I'll even help with the kid, if you want."