one

when karl consciousness came to fetch him, he began to wake up in a completely different location. a slight breeze brushed over his body, sending a small shiver down his spine. he felt the lush green grass underneath his fingertips. he rolled over on his side, his eyes still closed, with a sleepy grin on his face. the rustling of leaves up against each other sounded out as the content the boy was feeling kept on building up. that happiness though, lasted for only a minute before realization hit him like a truck.

his eyes shot open as he sat up, a bit too quickly as he felt light-headed. a soft groan sounded out as the male looked around to survey his surroundings. he was on the edge of a patch of woods with a vast clearing ahead of him with some sort of lake a good two hundred yards away. this was definitely not where he had fallen asleep the night before; this setting was very far from it.

confusion engulfed him as he stood up, not sure of why he was here or if he was the only one who would be able to enjoy the silence and beauty of the landscape ahead of him. it was a completely different atmosphere from the one that he dealt with in his daily life, the loud, upbeat, and chaotic atmosphere that he had gotten himself into when he began to work with his friends and streaming.

the male took a few uneasy steps, not sure if one was going to send him back into the real world. everything seemed safe as he stepped out into the direct sunlight from the shaded area that was provided by the trees from the woods behind him. sunlight danced across the lake's surface, making it as if the lake was shimmering with delight.

karl only walked fifty feet before stopping. he decided to stop before he went any further because he was still distrusting this place. a catch was definitely on the table for whoever threw him here.

the male sat down before he began to pick at the grass that was around his sitting place. he looked around, trying to spot any signs of life, whether it be animal life or another human here with him.

after about an hour of being alone, an echo was heard from the woods behind him. karl thought that it was just him imagining things, but the voice began to get closer and louder. the male's chest filled with hope as he got up and went toward the sound of the voice yelling.

"no chance," karl mumbled to himself before calling out hello in response to the unknown voice, trying to make out if it was a male or female.

"hello?" the male yelled out again but he ended up getting silence this time. karl stopped in his tracks, all the hope draining out of his body.

way to go, getting your hopes up, he thought to himself before he turned on his heel and began walking back to his spot, dragging his feet against the ground softly. he was stopped in his tracks once again when he heard footsteps snapping twigs and crunching leaves behind him.

"oh my god, i thought that i was hallucinating," a male voice called out from behind him.

karl whirled around to face whoever was speaking as his eyes widened a bit.

"guess you're the only other one.."