𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

"You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever."
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯

Previously: She rushed excitedly through the diner door, eyes immediately landing on Luke who looked at her with anxiety. "I won! I'm going to Washington D.C.!" She said shouted beamingly, thrusting her fist into the sky

Luke's face beams as he moved to embrace her. "That's amazing!" He said hugging her. "I'm so proud of you!"

As he pulled away and moved off slightly to the side, Jo's excitement fell along with her bright smile at the sight of him. "What are you doing here?"She asked her body stiffening at her regretful-looking twin brother...

Jess looked at the ground, unable to meet her eyes. "I, uh, I moved back." he said wincing at the words their father told them many times. He didn't want to be compared to their father in Jo's eyes. She is the only person that opinion meant something to him. She is his rock, his better half. And he hurt her with in the one way he swore he never would.

Jo bit her bottom lip and nodded bitterly, "Of course, you did." She said sarcastically. Not wanting to spend more time speaking to him, Jo moved to go to her room. She ignored Jess's calls to stop her and entered the apartment.

"Jo, please! Can you just talk to me?" Jess said following her into the apartment. She didn't say anything to him despite all his calls. "I get it okay! I broke our promise. I messed up, Jo."

Jo pushes back her urge to yell at him and went into her closet and pulled out her dress for Sookie's wedding. Nathan was coming to pick her up and she had twenty minutes to get dressed. She had no time to argue with him. So she closed her bedroom door, hoping that would stop Jess from talking to her. She was sorely mistaken when she heard him continue outside her door.

"I had to leave after what happened. Things weren't good for me here and I almost killed the one person that gave a damn about me. And you like living here, Jo! I couldn't ask you to leave for me." He pleaded loudly, enough to hear him clearly through her bedroom door.

Tears stung her eyes as she desperately tried to ignore him. The faster you put on your dress, the quicker you can get the hell out of here. She thought as she tugged your dress up her hips.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I-I- I just didn't want you to have to give up anything for me. Not when you finally are happy." He said as she slipped on her heels and small dainty necklace, earrings, and bracelet.

"Just please, can we talk?"

Jo's heart tugged with how weak and sad he sounded. Everything in her wanted to pull open that door and hug him, tell him that everything is fine. She wanted to console him like she always did to stop him from self-deprecating. But she pushed that feeling away like it never existed.

Once getting dressed, she pulled open her door and looked at Jess with an emotionless expression. "Move. I have somewhere to be."

When he didn't listen, she shoved past him. "Jo! Please!" He yelled, following her through the apartment as she searched through her clutch. "I did it for you. Jo!"

"No!" She yelled through gritted teeth, glaring at him as he averted her gave to the floor. "I will not be your excuse for your betrayal."

He looked back up, eyes watering. "Jo, I-"

Narrowing her eyes, she asked abruptly, cutting him off. "Why are you back, Jess?"

Clearing his throat, he used this chance to explain. "I didn't like how I left things, and New York does not feel like home anymore without you, Jo. And I know I screwed up! And that I did a shitty thing that hurt you. And I get why you are upset--"