Chapter 13 Oonagh

The sun was very low in the sky as midnight approached. The bonfire had burnt down to a pile of red hot embers. "We have less than half hour of sun light, Karlie," Gretchen said.

"Father Peter has asked Unni and me to sing the closing benediction."

"Okay, I'll gather the children. Join us once you finish." Karliene on her wheeled fiddle and Unni on the drum sang first a lively dance tune then the benediction. Father Peter said the closing prayer and then in the approaching darkness the town folk began to disperse. Gretchen shouted, "I've lost Oona! She's disappeared."

Panic gripped Karliene as she and Unni raced to Gretchen's side frantically scanning the retreating crowd. Bjorn and Eric rushed to join them. The dragon scar on Karliene hand tingled and she heard a whispered voice, "This way!" She ran in the direction of the voice and saw Oonagh in the distance. Oonagh was being led away by a man. Loki reached her first and then Bjorn reached them moments after Karliene did.

"OH, THANK YOU, thank you Vada!" Karliene sobbed, "You found her!" Karliene lifted the child in her arms and kissing her cheek retraced her steps in a run returning the child to her mother.

"I was returning the child when Karlie found us," Vada said in explanation to Bjorn.

"I'm glad Karlie did find you, you were headed in the wrong direction."

"Are you accusing..."

"Right now you are a hero in Karliene's eyes," Bjorn said slowly. "I'm willing to follow her lead. If I believe and could prove anything else the results would be different."

"Is that a threat? I heard your last battle left you crippled," Vada sneered.

"You may have heard wrong. I'm still alive. I have killed many men in war. You have never seen a battle."

"I hear you're a berserker, you kill for sport. Does the little huldra know that about you. Would she still want you if she did?"

"No she'd probably hate and fear me. I hate taking a life but I fight to win, whatever it takes. Women and children are never my targets. I strive to protect the innocent. That's something you should consider."

"How would you treat someone who harms an innocent as you call them?"

"I would castrate the bastard and let the village mothers exact punishment. But you apparently have nothing to fear, Oona is well."

Bjorn and Loki managed to reach Karliene before they had returned to the long house. Eric was carrying Oonagh on his shoulder and Karliene and Unni were walking together silently holding hands. Loki reached her several minutes before Bjorn.

"I'm grateful you were here Loki," Karliene whispered. "You led me me to Oona."

"I felt your anguish, so I came. Usually I avoid bonfires," Loki said. "I'll leave you now. Bjorn was also very concerned and he's right behind me."

Bjorn reached Karliene and put a comforting arm around her shoulder. Karliene leaned into him. "Bear," she whispered.

"I can feel you trembling," he said softly.

"Unni, I'm going to stay out for a bit and talk to Bjorn." Karliene whispered to her sister, "I'll be right in."

"Loki was there for us and Oona, I never noticed," Unni said. "Bjorn you came running too."

"We were occupied with dancing and singing when Oona went missing. I'll be in shortly." Unni walked into the house. "Bear could we just walk to the river?" Bjorn nodded and still holding her walked to sit tailor style beside the river bank on a small wood dock. The light of the summer moon sparkled on the water. Karliene lifted her skirt above her knees, extended her legs and soaked her feet in the water. The water ran cold and crystal clear from the nearby mountains. She was aware of slight fish smell in the water. She leaned toward Bjorn and he simply lifted her into his lap.