Chapter 3: "Critical Condition"

Start from the beginning

"Your right, I really don't want to see him. He denied our baby and put me up as if I was a person that slept around a lot when I don't." My mom placed her hands in mine again. "I know he did, he explained everything that happened to you. And uh, he paid the price for it when Brandon knocked some sense into him."

I chuckled and held my mom's hand tighter. "Mom, I just want to say thank you for not judging me and thank you for accepting the fact that I will be having a baby, you don't understand how appreciative I am right now." I felt my eyes spill with tears. "No don't worry, you don't have to say thank you, that is what family is for but I have to go, some people are dying to see you right now but other than that, you have to stay in the hospital overnight to make sure the baby and you are healthy to go home."

I placed my hands over my invisible baby bump that was forming in me. I smiled knowing it was still alive. When my mother left the room, I started to talk to it. "If you're awake, I am so happy you made it, you scared me little one. Everything is going to change for the better now." I rubbed my belly smoothly.

Right when things were getting better my door flew open. It was Arden and his little 'friend' Veronica. What the hell was she doing here!? I gave her a dirty look and rolled my eyes looking away from them. "Ariel the least you could do is be nice to her, she saved you and our child's life." He snapped at me. I turned my head to him and gave him a disapproving look, now this worthless son of a bitch wants to claim my baby as ours!? Oh, hell no, doesn't work like that.

"Excuse me Arden, if I remember from your point of view, I wasn't carrying your baby and now you want to come in here like some Indiana Jones and say OUR baby, no this baby is mine and mine only." I snapped back at him. He stood up straight and looked me dead I the eye.

"Well guess what, I changed my mind, after hearing you scream and then the phone going silent, something clicked in me, I don't know what it was, all I know it was something. My baby was in danger and I couldn't do anything about it. Veronica called me saying you were in an accident and that you were heading to the hospital, I came as fast as I could, but your mom wouldn't let me see you. All I wanted to know if my baby was okay."

"And my baby is okay, Arden, now you can leave and have a good time fucking her, because I know deep down inside you, you couldn't give two shits about my baby. You made it damn obvious about it in the janitor's room!"

I was beyond livid that now he wants to be in our child's life. "Oh, shut the hell up Ariel just be happy he is going to step up as a father." Veronica spoke. I looked at her observantly, her voice sounded so familiar. When she saw me looking at her, she looked uncomfortable. "Arden, I have to go, my mother needs help doing laundry."

Arden turned around and looked at her confused. "Laundry? Since when do you even help your mom?" Arden asked her. My suspicious about her was rising up. "Look, I don't have time for explaining, I will see you later at your house." She went up to him and kissed him as if her life depended on it. I looked away disgusted. If she thought that was getting me jealous well, she was wrong.

She left the room and the tension in the air changed. "Why are you still here?" I asked him. He sat down in the chair next to me. "Because my child is here that's why. You're going to have to get used the fact that you're going to be seeing me around a lot from now on." As much as he was telling me the truth, I still didn't like the fact that I will be seeing him for the rest of my life.

"Do you mind if I feel on your stomach?" I looked at him as if he was crazy. I crossed my arms and looked at him suspiciously. I rolled my eyes and nod my head. He pulled my shirt up a little and placed his hands onto my small baby bump. "I am so sorry for how I acted earlier today and denying you, hopefully you forgive me."

I bite my lip and almost cried. This moment was just too cute. He then unexpectedly kissed my small bumped that holds our baby. I couldn't even hold it in this time. A small tear strolled down my face. He moved back up and looked at me. He seemed to hold the same emotion I had but instead it looks as though he gone through worse. "You take care of my baby while I am gone, I'll be back later." Before he left, he kissed my belly again.

But his time I just chuckled. He looked up at me and chuckled. He left my room with a smile on his face. Maybe he did change his mind about our baby; maybe he is going to step up and be the father he needs to be within the matter of months. I placed my hand on my belly. "You're going to have both mommy and daddy in your life now little one."

Just as I was thinking about taking a nap, two other people came into my room who were Mr. and Mrs. Holt, Arden's parents. I've known them for a long time, they were my parents close friends, including the fact that Mr. Holt is my mom's boss. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Holt." I greeted them.

Mrs. Holt came by my side and gave me a big hug. "Oh, honey when we got the news that you are holding our first grandchild, we were happy that our first grand baby was from a girl like you. I always thought he was going to get the wrong girl pregnant but words can't describe of how happy I am that it's you. You had us worried when we heard you were in an accident." Mrs. Holt kept hugging me tighter and tighter.

"Alright dear, hug her even more tightly; we might not even be able to see our grand baby." He joked. She let go and apologized. I told her it was okay. "We are so sorry for how our son treated you. We raised him better than that." She was looking down to the floor. "Don't worry about it, it's Mr. and Mrs. Holt. As long as I know that our baby will have a loving environment, then it's all good."

"Please call us by our first names Ariel, that's the least we could do for the behavior of our son." I nodded my head. "Um, is my father and brother out there?" Violet, Arden's mom, shook her head. "They left minutes ago, your brother was truly upset and your father left with him to calm him down. But I don't blame Brandon."

She's right, as much as Brandon should have kept his cool, I don't blame for him for wanting to kill Arden, hopefully he is okay with me having a baby. Me and Arden's parents talked some more before they up and left. My mom came in later that day.

"Honey, you need to get some rest." She told me as she dims the lights. I looked at her and nodded. She's right, I do need to rest, I am so worn out. She went to a machine and turned something on. "What's that mom?" She looked at me. "This is the monitor to listen to your baby's heart beat."

"Can you turn it up a little; I want to go to sleep with the sound of its heart beating." She smiled and nodded her head, "Of course sweetie." She turned it up and the sound of my baby's fast heart beat was like music to my ears. My mom kissed the top of my head and left the room. I placed my hands onto my stomach. "Good night little one." The last thing I remember was hearing the sound of my child's heart beating.