Chapter One: Silhouettes

Start from the beginning

Thell had been twelve at the time, and the pain of losing her best friend, her only friend, had not been made any easier. Watching her wither away for months, being forced to spend less and less time with her as Darand gave her more responsibilities.

But something was different that night, Thell could feel it. Her mother had told her stories of the Force, the Jedi, the thing that tied all living beings together. She wondered if she was feeling it, that mystical Force her mother had told her stories of late at night.

"Momma, please. I need you," Thell begged, wrapping her small fingers tight around her mother's thin arm.

Her mother's arm came up, tucked a wandering lock of copper hair behind her ear.

"I'll always be with you, Thell. You know that."

Her mother tried to smile, even with her sickly skin and pale eyes.

"Momma... I don't know-"

Footsteps echoed behind them, and Thell curled close to her mother, her eyes narrowing when she noticed Bleys Darand stepping into their chambers.

"Thell, step into the other room for a moment, please," her mother said, but when she didn't move, pressed, "Thell, now."

With gritted teeth and teary eyes, Thell fled from the chamber, huddling on the opposite wall, the one that faced the window. She wrapped her hands around her knees and ducked her head down, letting the tears stain her garments. She could hear her mother and master speaking, but only faintly. She could only hear bits and pieces of their conversation.

She strained closer to the open doorway, pressing her ear against the corridor.

"You have to promise me that, Darand."

"Seba, I..."

"You have to. She is the only thing I have ever loved. Too many children die in this galaxy because they don't have people that care for them. I don't care if you do not show her love as I did, but I need you to promise me that you will take care of her. I don't want you throwing her to the streets as soon..."

The conversation drifted off, and Thell sniffed, bringing her ear closer.

"I have served your family since you were a young man. The least I am asking for is that you give her a home."

"I.... I will."

"I need you to promise me."

Thell heard Darand sigh heavily. "I promise. I will take care of her."

"I will be gone soon... I am thankful to know that."

"That's... another thing, I needed to speak about with you."

Thell leaned against the wall, catching her breath as she swung the sack of cleaning supplies over her shoulder. It was nearly sundown, the end of her shift. She could relax, stretch her legs, maybe even take a walk around the artificial garden that sat atop Darand's mansion.

Thell had just placed the sack of cleaning supplies back in their closet when she heard a loud, unnerving thump. Twisting her head the other direction, Thell's eyes followed down the dark corridor, only lit by small yellow lamps. She waited, the only sound being her breath as she tried to slow her racing nerves.

"You're just being stupid," Thell whispered, trying to pluck up any courage she had.

Taking a small metal rod, meant for cleaning, in one hand, she tiptoed down the hallway, delicately placing one foot in front of the other. The hallway was quiet, almost dead silent save for the hum of the lights and air converters.