iii. with great power...

Start from the beginning

"...by Queens' own colorful, local crime-stopper: the Spider-Man."

Thea squinted her eyes at the odd picture of the web-slinging superhero exiting a Port-a-Potty of all places.

"As the Spider-Man attempted to foil their heist, a powerful blast was set off, slicing through the bodega across the street. Miraculously no one was harmed."

Thea squinted at the blurry security camera footage, recognizing the logo of the building against a lime green banner— it was the Queens Community Bank just opposite Delmar's Deli and Bodega. She used to go there after school to pick up lunch meat when Serafina was trapped in her dark place. Just across from the bodega was the café she and Bex had "claimed", the sweet little Coffee Haus. It was headlined in big, white letters— SPIDER-MAN: HERO OF QUEENS OR DESTROYER?

She watched a squabble between the web-slinging hero and some robbers whose faces were shielded by the Avengers masks sold at costume stores. The first thing that caught Thea's attention was the blast of blinding light that tore through the bank wall and destroyed the security camera. She felt her heart pound in her chest as she replayed the sound of the energy blast in her head. "When did this happen?"

"Looks like a few hours ago," Bex murmured. The light from her phone screen illuminated her face— presumably any theories about the weirdly powerful weapons the robbers wielded. "Holy shit, that blast tore through the bodega pretty bad. Thank God Mr. Delmar and his cat's alright."

"Watch your language," Imelda said flatly, her hand reaching out to smack her granddaughter on the wrist. "Que horror." She shook her head and pointed her finger at the screen that showed the damages suffered by Delmar Deli-Grocery. "Rebeca, Thea, I don't want you to stay out too late anymore."

"Abuelita, it's okay. The Avengers will deal with... whatever this is," Bex explained. There was doubt in her eyes as well, defying her own words.

"Rebeca, no," Imelda stated, her strong accent puncturing her words. "I came from Cuba to give my children and their grandchildren a better life— a safe life. This is worse! Worse than I can ever think!"

Thea, blanked out during their conversation, holding her full plate closer to her stomach to try and preserve the comforting heat. She heard the blast in her head, feeling her nerves prick.

"...nothing like this will happen at the party, Abuelita, I promise."

"Party?" Thea interrupted, confused. She remembered Abe and Charles from Decathlon talking about some kind of kickback tomorrow.

Bex looked at her, an eyebrow raised. "Yeah... at Liz Toomes's house tomorrow night, remember?"

"Oh, no, no, I'm not going," Thea scoffed, her voice overlapping Bex's that was louder than hers.

"Thea, Thea, come on!" she pleaded. "There won't be alcohol or drugs or-or assassins!"

"Assassins?" Imelda gasped, her hand flying to her chest.

Thea shot Bex a glare, chewing a spoonful of rice and beans. Bex's mouth moved up and down like she was a fish underwater. "I-I— it's an online role playing game, Abuelita."

"You kids and your games," Imelda scoffed and rose, her collection of necklaces clinking together as she took Bex's empty plate to the kitchen.

"Thea, Spider-Man's gonna be there, Peter Parker said so!" Bex hissed, her eyes flooding with a puppy-dog cuteness. "I can figure out who he is but I need you! C'mon, you don't wanna be that weird loner who doesn't go to parties!"

"Well, this weird loner's gonna stay home," Thea huffed indignantly.

"Pleaseeee!" Bex dramatically drawled, sinking to the floor like she was melting. She army crawled to Thea, her arms slinging around her legs.