Chapter One

First story, hope you like it! :D

***

Miss Lem walked across the room, her high heels clicking on the tiled floor.

“So for this project, you’ll be in partners.”

I immediately looked over at Kayla, my best friend.

“Not so fast,” she said, seeing our glances. “I’ll be putting you in partners.”

The whole class groaned. I was always partnered with someone I hated, especially Aran.

Aran and I had never gotten along. He was my next-door neighbor, and he was a big, fat jerk. He had always been mean to me, and I hated him back. We were enemies, and everyone knew that.

Miss Lem started walking around the room, putting us in pairs. I crossed my fingers.

“Kayla, you’ll be with Lizzy. Robert, you’ll be with Isabella.” She reached me, and I looked around at who was left. Aran, of course, and a shrimpy girl in the back. I hadn’t seen her before. She was probably new. Then Rachel and Taylor. I hoped I’d be with one of them.

“Rachel and Taylor, you’ll be together, and that leaves Aran, Aimee, and Arabella. The three A’s.”

It took a second to register that I was with Aran, and then my head hit the desk. Three weeks of torture. I raised my eyes, and saw him glaring at me. And who was Arabella?

I sighed, and the bell rang shrilly. I gathered up my stuff. Kayla joined me.

“Ugh, Aran? Really?”

“I’m sorry Aimee. That sucks.”

“Yeah, it does. We’re always paired together, Kayla! Every single class!”

“You were with Tracy for that science project, remember?”

I rolled my eyes. “You know what I mean. And who the heck is Arabella?”

“Maybe she’s nice.”

The last thing I needed was to be associated with the new kid. It would kill my reputation.

“Whatever, Kayla. We should go to lunch.”

I threw my stuff angrily into my locker and headed down to the cafeteria, where I sat moodily with Kayla and a bunch of our other friends.

“So you’re partners with Aran, huh?” Rachel said, flipping her blond hair over her head.

I grunted, stabbing my fork into the overcooked broccoli. I hated school lunch.

“Aimee.” A deep voice from behind startled me. I whirled around, nearly inhaling my broccoli.

Aran was standing behind me, his blonde hair gelled up a little bit at the front. “We have to go to the library this afternoon, for the project.”

“Okay. Does Arabella know?” I glared at him. He glared at me back.

“Yeah. So be there right after school. And don’t be late.”

“Of course your majesty,” I said, annoyed he was telling me what to do.

He rolled his eyes and walked away. I turned back to my food.

“He’s hot,” Taylor said, just to make me mad.

“He’s an idiot, Tay. Shut up.”

***

“Can you come over to my house after school, Aimee?” Kayla asked.

“No, I have to go meet Aran at the stupid library to work on that stupid project. I hate Miss Lem. Can’t we just choose our own partners?”

“I know, it sucks,” Kayla said sympathetically. “Good luck with the project.”

“I’ll need it,” I grumbled.

I gathered up my stuff and shoved it in my backpack, then walked to the library. It was quiet in a strange kind of way. I brushed my dark hair out of my face and looked around. Aran and Arabella were already sitting there. Arabella was tiny, with a small face and mousy brown hair. Aran was tall and lounged in his chair like he was the king of the world.

Great.

“You’re late, Aimee,” he said, as if he was happy to get on my back about something.

“School ended five minutes ago!” I complained, sitting down at the table. I saw Rachel and Taylor grabbing textbooks to work on it as well.

Aran shrugged, leaning back against his chair. Arabella sat as straight as a board, perfect posture. She was quiet, lips tightly pressed together.

We started working, some project on American history. Like anyone cared what happened a million years ago.

After about an hour, I stood up to go. “We’ve worked on it a lot. It’s not due for a week or so. We can do more of it later. Anyway, my mom’s counting on me to make dinner.”

“What time do you have dinner?” Aran scoffed. “It’s only four-thirty, Aimee.”

“We eat at five, Aran. I’ve got to go.”

“Have fun.”

Arabella smiled at me, grabbed her stuff, and left. I stood up regally, grabbed my books, and started to walk haughtily away, and tripped majestically on a chair. Aran pulled me up, and I stood holding his hand for a second. I looked into his eyes, my heart pounding, then dropped his hand, shaking.

What had come over me?

I grabbed my stuff and nearly ran out of the library.

I could still see his blue eyes, imprinted in my brain.