Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21

Only a few days, over 48 hours, later Din had finally found another job from an 'old friend' and they were approaching the large hangar currently

Only a few days, over 48 hours, later Din had finally found another job from an 'old friend' and they were approaching the large hangar currently. After all that happened with their latest incident, Hebe was less than enthusiastic to leave the kid on his own in that ancient piece of junk Din calls his ship, he was worried of course but a little less than she was. He had to pull her gently by the wrist to get her to walk down the ramp and into unfamiliar surroundings. Her heart basically in her throat, she tugged her mask on a little higher and let her shoulder-length hair shadow her face. They both walked slowly through the group of workers that eyes travelled along with them, stopping momentarily to scope out the newcomers.

Din could feel her unease and placed a hand on the small of her back to keep her moving forward, it only tightened the knot forming in her stomach, which she didn't know was good or bad. "Mando!" They both turned and were met with an older man, long frizzy hair and beard immediately caught her attention. "That you under that bucket?" The guy stretched his hand out with a smile gracing his wrinkly features, Mando shook his hand. "Ran." At least he was familiar with someone.

"I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again. Good to see you, you gonna introduce me to your friend?" He put a hand on Mando's back and gestured to Hebe, who was itching to get back to the ship. When she stayed silent Mando nodded his head and remembered what she said earlier 'if anyone asks, I'm mute'. "This is Lin, uh, she doesn't talk," the woman in question eyed the Mandalorian carefully and squinted, she didn't remember ever mentioning her last name to him but brushed it off. He probably used to have a puck on her and she was on a lot of wanted posters. Ran only nodded to her with a closed mouth smile. She immediately thought something was a bit sketchy about this man and kept a close eye on him. He turned and guided them away.

"You know, to be honest, I was a little surprised when you reached out to me. You know, 'cause I...I hear things. Like, maybe things between you and the Guild aren't workin' out?" Ran crossed his arms and came to a stop. Red flags were running wild in her head, her unease building up impressively fast, placing mental walls in her head reminding her not to get to find of these people. "I'll be fine," Mando replied in a flat tone.

"Okay. Well, you know the policy. No questions," he eyed the girl beside Mando before shaking his head with open arms, "And you, you're welcome back anytime." The two talked familiarly as Ran led them both to an upper hangar, Hebe kept her poker face steady as she could. "So, what's the job?"

"Yeah, one of our associates ran afoul of some competitors and got himself caught. So, I'm puttin' together a crew to spring him. It's a five-person job. I got four, but of course, six is always welcome," he gestured to her again as Mando came to a stop and turned to face them both. "All I need is the ride, and you brought it," no wonder she was feeling on edge.

"The ship wasn't part of the deal," through his helmet Din sounded agitated.

"Well, the Crest is the only reason I let you back in here," Mando glared at his through his impossible to the see-through visor. "What's the look?" Ran leaned is closer, much to Hebe's dismay. "Is that gratitude?" Ran laughed, Hebe had to forcibly had to stop herself from snorting. "U-huh. I think it is." And with that, he walked away, still chuckling to himself. Hebe and Mando shared a look, her raising her eyebrows in a less than impressed fashion, he only shrugged and guided her in Ran's direction with a hand wrapped around her wrist. They went near the back of the hanger, Mando's hand still attached protectively to Hebe. He was starting to have a bad feeling too, but he also desperately needed a job, supplies were running low already.

"Hey, Mayfeld!" Ran shouted. A bald man with a ginger beard whipped around. "Yeah?" His eyes were immediately on the girl, looking her up and down and not surprisingly stopping at her exposed legs, Din subtly stepped half in front of her and Mayfeld's eyes were back on his boss. "This is Mando, the guy I was tellin' you about. We used to do jobs way back when. And his friend here, Lin."

"This is the guy?" Mayfeld took a few steps closer, she eyed the two blasters tucked into the brown harness that was strapped around his chest. She struggled not to make any sarcastic comments and keep up the mute act. "Yeah, we were all young, tryin' make a name for ourselves," Ran rasped and started laughing again. "Yeah, but runnin' with a Mandalorian, that was...that brought us some reputation," Ran nodded. Mayfeld's eyes were glued to his helmet.

"Oh, yeah? What did he get out of it?"

"I asked him that one time. Remember what you said, Mando? Target practice," Hebe smirked under her mask, that was just such a him thing to say. Ran bust out laughing again and Mayfeld wore an impressed look on his face, though both of them could tell it wasn't genuine. "Man, we did some crazy stuff, didn't we?"

"That was a long time ago," Din said a little so quickly, his voice void of humour, Hebe tilted her head at him, he merely glanced at her from the side of his visor. "Well, I don't go out anymore. You understand? So, uh, Mayfeld, he's gonna run point on this job," Mayfeld both gave them a little wave and winked at Hebe, something Mando didn't miss. The tension in the air was growing. "If he says it, it's like it's comin' from me. You good with that?"

"You tell me," Mando subconsciously squeezed Hebe's wrist a little tighter, she had to forcefully loosen his grip, she grabbed his hand and gave it a little squeeze in an attempt to make him relax, it only worked a little bit. Ran kept laughing at him and said something else that Hebe was to busy to hear, trying not to lose circulation in her arm, she understood that Din was only looking out for her but it hurt. "He's one of the best triggermen I've ever seen. Former imperial sharpshooter," Ran informed them.

"That's not saying much," that got Mayfeld's attention, he turned from where he was walking away and snapped at him. "I wasn't a stormtrooper wiseass," with that he disappeared around the corner, Hebe choked silently keeping her laughter at bay, she could help it, she didn't know Din could be so shady. "Doesn't take long, does it?" Ran laughed, again. He seemed to enjoy Mando's presence and let her guard down the slightest bit, she didn't feel and malicious intention. This was bound to be an interesting trip