first practice (Kageyama's POV)

this story is a spin-off from my other story "nishinoya x hinata: our little secret". this story would make a lot more sense if you read BOTH stories. basically, it's the same story as the nishinoya x hinata story, but it's from kageyama and yamaguchi's POV.
-
-
-
-
-

i step onto the court, sweating, next to the other new first years. today is the first volleyball practice with my new team at Karasuno high school. i went in the line of boys to wait for my turn to introduce myself. no one really stood out to me. everyone just looked like they could be decently good. i look down at my shoes as the tall blonde first year next to me introduces himself. after i see him step back into his spot in line, i lift my head and open my mouth to speak.

"Kageyama Tobio. first year." i say, quietly and steadily. i'm the type of person who doesn't really show much emotion. i don't even really have much emotion. you could've known me your whole life, but still not really know me. my eyes wander around the gym where i'd now be playing. i don't pay attention to the others who are talking, until someone catches my eye.

i watch as a boy with dark greenish hair steps up. he's tall, but at least an inch shorter than me. i look him up and down, with wide eyes. he has pretty pale skin showered with freckles on his face. i watch carefully as the boy begins to speak.

"I'm Tadashi Yamaguchi. i'm also a first year". i could tell from his facial expression and voice that he was a bit shy. his voice was shaky and he looked at the floor as he spoke. he refused to look anyone in the eye as he spoke. i watched him as he walked back into his spot with his head down. i kept my gaze on him and i didn't even notice the 3 older boys stepping up. that was, until i heard the grey haired male speak up.

"i'm Kōshi Sugawara. i'm a third year and also vice captain" the boy said. then, the brown haired boy spoke. "and i'm Daichi Sawamura, i'm also a third year and i'm the captain". the captains looked around at each of us, looking us up and down.

"we're going to start by going through the rules and stuff". i almost scoffed. what stupid rules could we possible have? this is volleyball. they aren't my parents.

"first off, someone has to clean up the gym everyday after we practice. if no one volunteers, we'll just pick randomly every week. secondly, you can only miss a total of 5 practices or you'll have to sit out for a match". i give off an annoyed look at this. i do not wanna spend my afternoons picking up after everyone. before i can make any comments, the captains speak up again.

"and lastly, you cannot date anybody else on the team. i'm sure this won't be a problem, but we're suppose to say it every year. it's because it would just cause problems and affect the way we all play". i look back over at the green haired boy, who looked down, unfazed. i wasn't sure why i was so fascinated by the boy, or what was so special about him. i didnt even know him. but i wanted to. i wanted to know him. i then look around the room at everyone else's expressions. none of the rules really seemed to bother anybody.

as we all start to begin practicing actual volleyball, i can't help but notice that green haired boy. i shake my head to stop myself from staring, and i head over to the net. the captains have me set to a couple people in a rotation. throughout the entire practice i could barely focus, my eyes just kept locking onto him. he seemed to be good friends with that tall blond haired boy. i get knocked out of my trance when i hear someone yell to me.

"kageyama! focus. i want you to go over to that court and set to hinata and tanaka!". i set to hinata first. he has an incredible spike, he can jump higher than anyone i've ever seen. daichi and tsukkishima block his spike, but that libero is able to dig it up. he's good. really good. i hear suga praising us, but i tune it out. my eyes wander back over to the green haired boy again who's on the other court, but this time, he's looking back at me.