not friends? (Kageyama's POV)

i roll to my side, listening to my alarm go off. i rub my tired eyes, as i hadn't gotten much sleep the previous night. i lay on my back, staring up, when my phone lights up beside me with a text. daichi maybe? do we have practice today? i didn't think we did? i quickly figured out i was wrong, as i got a text from yamaguchi.

1 unopened message
from: yamaguchi
hii ! do you wanna walk to practice with me and tsukkishima ?

i quickly run to my mirror, to try and fix my hair or something before i meet up with them. i look down at my phone again, pulling up our volleyball schedule to double check we have it. practice: 11 am. i run back to my room, quickly throwing on a t-shirt and shorts, but still making sure i look okay. i attempt to brush my hair, and i mess with it a bit more before replying.

to: yamaguchi
yea sounds good

yamaguchi sends me a location to meet at that isn't too far from my house. i run downstairs, attempting to make it past my parents before they noticed i was leaving. "tobio!", my mom yells to me. i stop in my tracks, turning to face her. she frowns, coming to hug me. "you were gonna leave without saying goodbye! do you want breakfast or anything?". i shake my head, hugging her quick before turning back around.

"did you do something different with your hair?". my face goes red and i try to hide it, but she follows me to the door. "it looks good! is there a girl your trying to impress that'll be there?", she says smirking at me. my face goes even redder as i quickly turn down her accusations. embarrassed, i manage to slip out before she asks any more questions. i'm not trying to impress anybody. i just... felt like doing my hair. that's all.

i kick the dirt below my feet as i slowly walk to the meeting location. my heart seems to pace as i get closer. once i'm finally there, i look up, my eyes focusing on yamaguchi who's a ways infront of me. he meets my eyes, jogging up to me a bit. his taller friend unenthusiastically trots behind him, refusing to make eye contact.

"uhhh. kageyama, this is tsukki", he says, pushing his friend towards me a bit. tsukkishima crosses his arms briefly looking me up and down for a quick second. "call me tsukkishima.", he snarls, turning around to walk away from me. i wanna bite back but i hold myself back a bit, not wanting to scare off yamaguchi. this kid really needs to be put in his place.

yamaguchi places his hand on the back of his neck, stuttering a bit to find his words. "uh- i'm- im sorry about him. he's just- he's not used to new people". i nod, smiling a bit at the freckled boy. yamaguchi takes my hand, pulling me forward a bit to catch up to his friend who's already been walking ahead of us for a while.

as we walk, we don't say much to eachother. i look to my side to examine yamaguchi's face. his hair falls perfectly onto his face, and his freckles are perfectly symmetrical painting his cheeks. the sun seems to paint a stripe across his eyes making them perfectly glimmer. i notice his eyes always following the world around him, like he's secluded, and it's only him in the world. he looks back at me, catching my eyes, but i quickly look away.

at the gym, we're approached by suga and daichi, who happily greet us at the door. "alright it looks like mostly everyone is here! let's get started". we all travel to the gym, and i feel someone pull my arm to the side. i bite my lip and jerk my head up quickly, seeing the blonde boy pulling me over to the side. i squint my eyes a bit in confusion.

"listen. i don't know what your deal is with yamaguchi. and i don't care to know. when we're in the gym, i'll respect you and all because i have to. but as soon as we walk out those doors at the end of the day, i don't have to be". he growls, making his intentions very clear to me. i nod my head to not cause any commotion, and we both venture back to the rest of the guys.

we get started with some drills and warmups, and looking around the room it isn't hard to tell that there's people missing. within minutes, the two smallest players run into the gym, being 5 minutes late. the small orange haired boy ruffles his hair, trying to avoid contact with daichi who's glaring at him. the libero runs in, sprinting right up toward daichi.

"looks like you two will become great friends! as your both showing up to practice late". they both nod uncomfortably before joining us. "don't make a habit of it". me and yamaguchi look at each other, giggling a bit giving each other a thank god we weren't late look.

after warmups, i see yamaguchi walking my way shyly. "could you help me with my serves?". at that moment i got a flashback to my middle school team. i had asked the same question to oikawa. i paused, remembering the interaction. "kageyama?", yamaguchi says snapping me back to reality. i shake my head, agreeing and walking him over to the less chaotic side of the court.