chapter 14

"Natsuki," Monika said, staring at her phone in disbelief. The cupcakes suddenly lay untouched as a heavy air surrounded the girls. "You're gonna want to see this."

"What?" Natsuki asked, a sinking feeling already in her stomach. She sighed to herself before finding her way to Monika's side.

Monika raised her phone up to Natsuki's face, and the pink haired girl's fears were confirmed.

~

[One new message] Yuri: Katsuo and I are in a relationship now.

~

"I'm sorry, Natsuki," Monika said softly.

Sayori enveloped her in a big hug. "I guess all you can do at this point is hope she's happy and move on."

"I expected that from Monika, not you." Natsuki buried her face in her hands with a groan. "I really thought I had a chance with her, but I was just kidding myself."

Monika set her phone on the counter and put her arm around her girlfriend. "I'm sorry, but Sayori is right. Of course I wish it had been you that ended up with Yuri instead of that chunk of meat, but she's my sister. She's been there for me, and what matters to me most is that she's happy. If she's happy with him, then I don't want to fuck that up."

"I know. I should be there for her as a friend. I need to be the bigger person. But I'm still bitter," Natsuki confessed, glaring at the cell phone with dismay. "I just wish that there was something about him that made him a bad person." Natsuki buried her face in her hands.

Her chest heaved as she held in her sobs. Deep breaths, Natsuki. She felt like she wasn't ready to go through what felt like a breakup. It was an ending to a relationship that didn't even exist. How could Yuri have fallen for Katsuo? After all, Natsuki had known her for years, and yet...

They were practically strangers.

Natsuki sighed softly. "I need to be alone. I'm going to my room."

Monika nodded. Ever since they had all become friends, Natsuki had found herself with less tasks and more free time. The brunette had started to clean after herself, rather than leaving it to Natsuki.

The tall brunette knew that they were on good terms, but she wasn't very close with Natsuki. They weren't best friends all of a sudden. But she wanted someone to be there for Natsuki. She didn't want the pink haired girl to have to go through this alone.

Sayori stared at Natsuki as she disappeared down the hall and into her room. She finally broke her gaze to meet green eyes. How she wanted to run after Natsuki and support her, but she knew Monika wanted to spend the day with her.

Monika shook her head, smiling softly. "Go to her. We can always spend time together later. She needs you right now."

Sayori's smile brightened as she straightened up in her seat. "Thank you, love!" She leaned over and kissed Monika on the cheek before running after the short girl.

_

_

Natsuki was face down on her bed, her head buried in her soft pillows. She did not stir when the door opened, and she felt the mattress dip. A hand laid on her back comfortingly, and she groaned. "What?"