chapter 16

The three girls rushed into Natsuki's room to find it empty. Another scream sounded from the conjoined bathroom, which was locked. 

Monika, who played basketball, volleyball, and was a part of the track team slammed her shoulder into the door. "Ow," she muttered. "I thought that would work; I've seen it in the movies."

Yuri shook her head and pulled out her master key that opened every door in the house. She opened the door to find Natsuki on the ground, blood all over her hand, and the shower running over the small girl. The pink haired girl was bent over, screaming her head off and staring at her hand covered in blood.

"Natsuki, what's wrong?" Yuri asked, turning off the water and grabbing the towel. She set it over Natsuki to cover her naked figure. "What happened?"

Natsuki look up, her eyes filled with tears. "Help me, please!" she screamed. "I'm dying! I'm dying!"

Sayori sighed. She gestured at the blood on the floor of the shower. "You just got your period."

"My what?" Natsuki demanded, tears continuing down her face. 

Monika laughed loudly. "Are you joking?" 

Natsuki shook her head, glancing back down at her blood-covered hand and screaming yet again.

"Really?" Yuri asked incredulously. "You have no idea what we're talking about?"

Natsuki shook her head again, a panicked expression on her face.

"Your mother never told you?" Monika asked in disbelief.

"My mama is gone. I lived with just my papa," Natsuki said, her eyes never leaving her hand.

"Damn."

"Natsuki," Yuri said. "You're safe, and you're okay. You're not dying."

"My stomach hurts." Natsuki laid her head on Yuri's chest. "Please make it stop!"

"You're okay," Yuri said. "Finish your shower and ignore the blood. I'll explain everything when you're done. Monika and Kobayashi-san, please go get a pad and adhere it to her underwear."

Sayori nodded and followed Monika out the door. They emerged again quickly as Sayori began her task. The three girls left as Natsuki shakily turned the water back on.

The girls sat on the bed, a moment of silence passing over them. "I can't believe she had no idea," Sayori whispered.

"Isn't she sixteen?" Monika asked in a hushed tone.

"Yes," Sayori answered. "I guess she's just a little late to the party."

"Lucky bitch." Monika leaned into her girlfriend with a sigh.

Sayori's phone began to ring. "I'm gonna take this," she said, getting up, much to Monika's dismay. "Hello?"

Yuri and Monika couldn't hear what was said on the other line, but Sayori frowned. "Seriously?" she groaned. "But you said I could stay for the weekend."

Monika's eyebrows furrowed.

"Fine, fine, I'm on my way," Sayori sighed. She hung up and looked at Monika. "I'm sorry, but my mom wants me home."

"Oh, okay," Monika mumbled. "Will you be able to come over tomorrow?"

"I hope so," Sayori said, crossing her fingers.

Sayori left just as Natsuki entered the room, dressed.

"This thing is so uncomfortable," Natsuki complained, squirming.