Chapter 10 ➵

I was in deep thought the next day, dwelling on the sudden switch in Cedric's attitude. I was starting to wonder if all of this was going to be worth it. Playing Quidditch and flying seemed to set me free, I felt like I had found something that had been missing inside me. I didn't want anything to ruin it, I just couldn't help my interest in the Hufflepuff boy.

"Via? Hello?" Oliver spoke from across the table.

I woke from thought in The Great Hall, breakfast set out but I had no appetite; "Huh?"

"What's going on with you, you're like a statue today" Oliver tried to joke.

I shook my head a little and forced a smile over the table; "I'm fine, just tired"

"Diggory had you working that hard, huh?" Oliver exaggerated but was clearly trying to make me feel better, smiling as he dropped his spoon down into his porridge when I didn't reply; "So, are you going to Hogsmead?"

"Yeah, my Dad signed my letter but I'll see how I feel" I yawned and stretched out, groaning as I started to ache "I've got to keep myself focused right now".

"Cedric really did work you over, ay?" Oliver cocked an eyebrow.

I smiled sleepily "No" I rolled my eyes; "I don't know, there's just something different about him, I guess" I shook my head, dismissing it as soon as I had said it.

Oliver looked at me a little worried, swallowing slowly; "Y-you don't have a... like a crush on him... or something, do you?" He frowned, stuttering a little.

"What?" I grimaced "Oliver, no. I don't even know the guy" And maybe that was the problem, I needed to gain his trust, maybe even become his friend.

"Hm..." Oliver hummed as though he wasn't convinced before trying to shrug it off "Well, I've got something pretty cool to show you. Might help you keep your head in the game when you start playing"

"Oh yeah?" I smiled, skeptical but my interest grabbed.

He took one last spoonful before standing; "Follow me".

I did as he asked, swerving through the hustle and bustle of students in The Great Hall, a few still giving me small felicitations as I left through the doors.

I followed Oliver to a part of the castle I had never been before; "Where are you taking me, Wood?" I giggled lightly as I rushed to keep up.

"You'll see" He grinned proudly.

Eventually, we came to a gigantic glass trophy case; "What is this?"

"Have a look" Oliver's prideful smile strong as he stood in front of the case folding his arms; "Looks like it's in your blood, Via"

! smiled a little, looking at all the triumphant awards, but Oliver's expression had changed slightly as he pointed to the glass where the Seekers plaque stood, and there in the middle: Alice Heath- Seeker.

I stared, a rush of warmth elevating through my body, making me feel safe and secure; like this was exactly where I was supposed to be.

I placed my fingertips gently on the glass where the plaque was, a hitched breath "She died, you know. She was an Auror. Stupid dangerous job, if you ask me. I have been trying to convince Harry to pick another specialty" My eyes began to well a little as I slowly rambled to Oliver.

"I think most people know your Mother, Via. She was a hero" Oliver spoke kindly and soft, as he stepped over to me whilst his arms tenderly folded me into a hug.

My cheek rested on Oliver's shoulder and we stood for a moment, not being able to let go. It was the first time Oliver and I had been this close but it gave me the comfort to reminisce on the stories my Father had told me of my Mother. I soon slowly opened my eyes to a blur of yellow walking down the corridor.

Cedric came into view but quickly stopped in his tracks when he recognized myself and Oliver wrapped around one another, his eyes flicking nervously to the glass cabinet and back to me. I furrowed my brows and lifted my head, but Cedric had fled suspiciously fast.

-

I was strolling over to Potions class my usual route, my head still in the clouds, when I was yanked into an empty classroom by my collar. My back slammed against the wall and a familiar wand pointed to my face.

"Draco! What are you doing?" I shouted, gripping onto his forearm that held me against the wall.

"Why did that swine Diggory attack me!?" Dracos eyes darting around my face like he was afraid "Tell me!"

"Are you out of your bloody mind?" I hissed "I haven't got a clue!".

Dracos brows knitted further together and his wand pointed harder towards me; "You're telling me that you and your guard dog just happen to be taking evening broom rides together the day after he assults me and threatened to do it again if I didn't leave you alone! What's so bloody special about you anyway!"

I strained to get him off me; "I don't know why he would say that, Malfoy. Cedric and I barely speak, he's teaching me Quidditch, that's all"

Draco huffed a pitiful laugh, releasing me from the wall; "Oh yeah, I did hear about that. Alice Heath's prodigy finally follows in Mummy's footsteps" He looked me up and down; "I won't waste my time on you here then, I'll save it for the pitch"

My jaw clenched.

Draco huffed another laugh before getting uncomfortably close; "He can't protect you out there, Greystone"

I stood, breathing heavier and heavier from my nose, face etched slightly away from Draco's but my gaze cautiously fixed onto him "You're the new Slytherin Seeker?" I spoke, but Draco just cocked a brow and then finally lowered his wand and slithered back through the door.

I caught my breath quickly and calmed my nerves, scanning the room before turning to leave but slamming into a well-built body, falling back and looking up to see Cedric; "Why were you in here with Malfoy?"