romeo & juliet

JJ X KOOK (enemies with benefits)

The sun had long dipped beneath the horizon, leaving the sky painted in hues of pink and purple as the kegger raged on. 

The voices and laughter that had once filled the chateau had transformed into a deafening silence, broken only by the heated exchange of words. 

JJ's eyes narrowed, "You're nothing but a worthless, spineless bitch who can't even make up her damn mind, always jumping from one bed to another, trying to fill that empty void inside you, but you'll always be empty, Valerie."

Valerie and JJ were locked in a loud and very public argument, gaining the attention of every single person around them. Kook Queen, Pogue King.

"Really, JJ? Worthless? Spineless?" Valerie retorted, her voice edged with bitterness. "At least I'm not the one who can't see past his own ego. You act like you're some kind of untouchable king of the Pogues, fucking around with all the girls here, but all you do is hide behind this cocky façade."

"No fucking way." JJ scoffed, realisation clicking in his brain. "You were jealous? You were fucking jealous!"

"I was not!" She defended, tempers flaring as accusations were thrown around.

"You don't have the right–" JJ began, his anger intensifying.

"I was not fucking jealous, JJ!" Valerie retorted, her voice teeming with frustration.

But her words were drowned out by JJ's angry retort as he interrupted her, his face contorted with anger and disbelief.

"Don't lie to me!" he yelled. "You can't just waltz back into my life whenever you feel like it, get jealous, and then act like you have any right to judge me!" Their voices clashed, each word increasingly confusing those around them. 

Their argument, a tempest of emotions and unresolved feelings, showed no signs of abating. Valerie's voice cracked as she struggled to make her point heard over the chaos.

"You think you can just fill that pit inside you with every girl who's willing to fuck you? It makes you just as empty as you accuse me of being!"

JJ's expression twisted, his eyes filled with anger. "You left, Valerie! You left me. What did you expect me to do? Wait around forever for you?" JJ, stepped closer to Valerie, his face contorted with rage, and his voice took on a threatening tone. "You don't get to take this out on me!" JJ screamed, his words like a verbal assault as he got in her face, his eyes locked onto hers with an unsettling intensity. "You wanted us just as much as I did, and you damn well know it! You can't leave, and get jealous every time you see me with another girl!"

"Shut up, JJ!" Valerie whisper-shouted, her voice edged with desperation, as she cast a nervous glance around.

"What? You don't want them to know? Know that their princess has been fucking around with a dirty Pogue?" He raised his voice, and everyone surrounding them just watched, stunned. 

"But you hate each other?" John B interrupted, his voice breaking the heavy silence, and the girl shot him a glare.

"I never should have wasted my time on you!" JJ yelled, ignoring John B, his face inches from Valerie's. "You're nothing but a spoiled little Kook who wanted a taste of the wild side and then ran back to your rich daddy when things got tough!"

Valerie's met JJ's gaze. "Okay JJ, if we're playing stereotypes, you're nothing but a dirty pogue, destined to become a wife-beater, drug-addicted criminal, just like his father, living on the cut for the rest of your life." She retorted, her words filled with venom. 

The silence was deafening, and for a moment, it felt as if time had stopped.

JJ's face contorted with a mixture of anger and disbelief, unable to respond to Valerie's words. He stood mere inches from her, his breath coming in ragged, heavy exhales, his fiery retort caught in his throat.

Valerie, for her part, felt a profound sense of regret as the aftermath of her words settled in the air. She had maybe gone too far.

"You really are a nasty little bitch." Kie interrupted, pulling JJ away from the girl. "JJ look at me, calm down, look at me, she's not worth it." 

Valerie's retorted, her voice laden with defiance. "Stop being a pick-me cunt, Kie."

"Excuse me?" Kie, turned to Valerie with a glare. 

"I said, stop being a cunt, Kie." She repeated, her voice remaining calm. 

Valerie's words hung in the air, and Kie, not knowing what to say, turned away, leaving Valerie alone. The rest of their friends exchanged uneasy glances, and JJ locked eyes with Valerie.

"Fuck you Val." He mumbled, turning away as she stood still, until the crowd started to disappear, leaving her alone.

Sarah crept up behind Valerie, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Val, lets go. Kegger's boring anyways."

"Nah it's okay I know you want to stay". She smiled, telling Sarah to go back to Topper. "I'm good. I'll catch up with you later." It was time for a joint.

Valerie joined with a group of teenagers, smoking by the fire. "All good if I join?" She questioned, sitting next to her friend. 

Everyone replied with a yes, until JJ, who was among them, looked up and met her gaze. "No."

"Christ why are you always in my fucking way." She muttered under her breath, her irritation evident and she, only now, noticed the boy. 

The tension between Valerie and JJ cast a depressing shadow over the group as they continued to pass around the joint.

Their mutual disdain for each other was evident, and their refusal to acknowledge one another's presence weighed heavily on everyone around them, the atmosphere growing increasingly uncomfortable.

One by one, the rest of the teenagers mumbled excuses and slipped away, leaving Valerie and JJ stoned and alone, with their unresolved conflict. 

Valerie and JJ were locked in a never-ending cycle of blame and resentment. The joint had failed to bridge the chasm of their conflict. 

"I'm sorry if I took it too far." Valerie mumbled, trying to make amends. 

JJ, his expression softening, turned to look directly at her. "You always take it too far, Valerie."

"So do you." She whispered, bitterly and he shrugged. 

"I'm just telling the truth," he replied.

"Fuck you JJ" She mumbled, turning to leave. He grasped a hand around her wrist, pulling her back down to face him. "What? What do you want now?" She snapped, coldly.

"I'm giving you one chance." He spoke slowly, gently.

"Yeah? One chance to what?" Valerie snapped.

"To be with me." He replied, simply. and it was as if everything around them had paused. 

"To be with me," JJ replied simply, and in that moment, it was as if everything around them had paused. The fire, the party, all faded into the background, leaving only the intensity of their gaze.

"I-"