I unlock my phone and as the messages load, I begin to brush my teeth. The toothpaste foams in my mouth and I pick my phone up again, opening the messages.

10:37
I can't believe the day has finally come. You're currently in California with Ushiwaka aren't you?

10:38
This is so funny. You know, Goshiki breaks easily. I should have talked to him months ago.

10:38
I kind of feel bad for you, but now Ushijima can finally be rid of you.

10:39
It's all from a dare, and he's kept it up for this long? Hilarious! Him and his friends must have placed a bet on how long he can last too.

I stare at my phone, confusion and dread filling my body. I rinse the toothpaste out of my mouth before quickly texting back.

11:08
Yami, what are you going on about?

I stare at the message for a moment before pressing send. Almost immediately I see her begin to type.

11:08
Tendou-Kun dared Ushiwaka to go out with you. Your relationship is fake. If you don't believe me, ask Tendou yourself.

I stare at the message for a good 10 minutes, trying to convince myself that she's lying. That she's only messing with me like she's been for months. But for some reason, it doesn't feel like a prank.

I don't respond to her text and I quickly dial Tendou's number. He doesn't respond, so I keep calling. Finally, the third time I ring him, he answers.

"Sasaki-San, it's 4 in the morning." He says groggily into the phone. "I hope this is an emergency, or I might not forgive you." He says, but playfulness laces his tone.

I grip my phone in my hands, tilting my head back and closing my eyes.

"Is it true?" I ask calmly.

"Is what true?" He asks, and a yawn escapes his lips.

"Who are you talking to?" I can hear Hana's voice in the background.

"Sasaki, she just called." Tendou responds.

"Oh, Eri. Tell her I said hi."

"Hana says hi, oh, let me put you on speaker." Tendou says and I hear rustling for a few seconds.

"I don't care. Tell me if it's true or not." I demand, a little more edge to my voice.

"Sasaki, I'm going to need a little more information. What are you talking about?" He asks and I can't help but laugh. He's messing with me.

"Is this all a dare? Did you dare Wakatoshi to ask me out?" I ask, opening my eyes finally. I look into the mirror and I notice that my hands are shaking.

His silence afterwards is all the answer I need.

"Eri, who told you?" I hear Hana and scoff.

"You knew?!" I ask, tears burning in my eyes.

"Sasaki, please just listen-"

"Oh my god." I cut off Tendou. "Wow. This is...this is hilarious." I take a deep breath.

"What?" They both ask in shock.

"You guys fucking suck." My voice finally cracks and I quickly hang up.

I put my phone on the counter and bend down. It was a dare. A fucking dare! Why did he take me here then? To embarrass me further?

The person I love, the person I supported, trusted, gave my virginity to, all this time never felt the same way back. It's all just a cruel dare.