"well i can say for sure that it wasn't zayn. and why would it be him anyway? are you guys talking again?"

harry whimpers at the question. the realization of what happened the previous day dawns on him. meeting his former step-brother again, bailing on his date with zayn. he wants to reach for a bottle again and get wasted till he forgets.

"we were going to get back together," harry says, tears gathering around the corner of his eyes. "but i messed up."

"harry, you need to forget about him," niall says. "he always makes you act like this. i know you're still in love with him, but he makes you spiral."

harry shakes his head. "zayn wasn't the reason i relapsed."

"then what was?"

harry doesn't respond. niall doesn't know about his past and zeke. he thinks that would be too much, he's so ashamed of it he can't handle other people knowing about it. he trusts niall with everything but not this.

niall sticks to his assumption about zayn having something to do with harry going back to drinking. it's the only thing that makes sense to him. harry was on the right path before whatever happened between them. zayn probably hurt him again. he's consoled his friend so many times in his relationship with zayn. he never liked the way zayn treated harry and harry never saw a problem with it too because he thought he deserved it because he cheated. the relationship wasn't healthy in niall's opinion, always breaking up and getting back together again is a sure sign of an unhealthy relationship.

niall is a good friend. he tries his best to console harry, meanwhile harry was just looking forward to him letting him be so he can drink again without judgement.

...

zayn spent his weekend doing nothing but listening to music and smoking weed. he feels like he just got his heart broken again. after the night harry bailed on their date, he's been too sad to do anything. he said he wasn't going to text or call harry again because it's clear that he's already made his choice and his choice is clearly not zayn but he couldn't help caving and calling him. but harry never answered his call.

now he understands how harry felt when he kept trying to get a hold of zayn after their relationship first ended. thinking too much is making him more upset so he decides to go for a walk and change his environment. he walks out of his apartment door but bumps into someone on his way out. he recognizes them.

"caleb?"

"hi zayn," caleb says.

"what are you doing here?" zayn asks.

"i wanted to see you. can i come in?" he asks.

zayn nods. so much for changing environment, he thinks as they walk back into his apartment. caleb sits on his couch.

"you never responded to my text," caleb says. "i was worried about you."

"i'm sorry. that was shitty of me," zayn says. "i didn't mean to make you worried."

"it's alright. i'm glad you're fine," caleb replies. "so..."

"caleb," zayn starts. "about your messages."

"stop. i already know where this is heading. you're going to reject me, aren't you?"

"i'm sorry. but you were right the first time. i'm still in love with harry," zayn admits. caleb clenches his fists together.