Chapter 23: Elemental Houses

Morro's POV

     Four Weapons was nothing like I had imagined it. For one, Ignacia was a very small town; its population barely above five hundred people. The streets weren't even paved over; most of them were still dirt paths. Villagers worked in swamps, trying to make the land fertile for farming. Ranch style houses were the only type of houses around, and while I could see telephone poles, there was no modern technology in sight. Four Weapons sat in the middle of the minute town, on top of a hill.

     Since this was Kai and Nya's birthplace, I had assumed people would have flocked here and turned it into a complex branch of Ninjago City. However, the city was so humble I wondered how Kai could have ever had an ego about himself.

     When Cole ushered me into the blacksmith shop, we were surprised to find Jay and Nya already there. They had apparently arrived minutes before us. Maya, Nya's mother, led us to a skinny wooden table while she prepared some food. Small, metal barred chairs surrounded the table. While they looked nicely crafted, I could tell they were handmade.

     Four Weapons had a single room attached to the main area where the shop was. The second room supported a small stove, the table with three chairs, and a bed. I assumed the bathroom was located in the shed out back.

     While I could spot some of Kai and Nya's features in their parents, Ray and Maya looked almost nothing like their children. Their faces were sunken with years of hard labor; deep lines in their skin suggested heavy stress. They seemed quieter and more thoughtful, while their children burst with energy. While Kai and Nya shined with ambitions and spirit, all their parents looked like they wanted to do was take a nap.

     The humble, well-kept shop said much more about them than their appearance. The little they had was kept neat and tidy. They lived in simplicity, and they seemed to value it. Nya's look had a softness to it when she surveyed the minute area. She was probably recalling whatever childhood memories she had of this place.

      Maya came over the table with a small plate of fruit. At first, I was surprised to find the plate made of metal, but then I remembered that I was in a blacksmith shop. I guessed every utensil Ray and Maya had was some form of their craftmanship. Nya chomped away happily at the pieces of apple, while Jay politely nibbled at the one piece he took. I assumed he was feeling uncomfortable, since he had that look in his eye that he'd rather be hiding somewhere.

     I wondered if Harumi was uncomfortable with wherever Lloyd was taking her.

     After a few minutes, Ray came into the room. Both him and Maya sat down on the edge of the bed to face us. There weren't enough chairs to support us all. I felt the smallest twinge of guilt for sitting, especially since Cole was propped up on the floor. Cole was one of the few ninja who hadn't admitted to believing our story yet. I was wary of making him even more suspicious than he already was.

     "How can we help you?" Ray's voice was tired, just like his appearance.

      Immediately, all the Ninja exchanged glances.

      "You can go first," Nya said to Cole, "I have a feeling you might be here for the same reason we are."

      Cole nodded and faced the hosts. "I was wondering if you could tell us anything about a traitorous house of earth."

     Maya's brows furrowed. "I don't understand."

     "We thought it might have to do something with the first Serpentine War, since that was when my mother was alive." Cole said.

      Both Ray and Maya seemed remember because both of their faces relaxed. Ray took one of Maya's hands in his, as if he were mentally preparing himself to talk about a hard topic. I tensed in the seat.