Trapped (A Short Text)

I am standing in the doorway of the building. The onrush of damp musty air hits me. As I walk forward, the door slams shut behind me locking me in, with a loud clattering bang as it hits the door frame.

I turn round to see the rattling door quieten down, resting in its homely frame. It remains locked tightly, for no one to pass through; it has trapped me in and forbids me to walk out, to be free. A volcano of fear and terror is building deep within me. Bubbling and about to erupt, this terrible ominous feeling swallows me whole and I am unable to think. An overwhelming thought fills my whole body, "What if I can never get out, and die here on my own?" Adrenaline rushes through my body, fills my mind and I begin to think again, but can only return to the horror of being trapped, here, alone in this building.

Starting to calm down, I begin to think more rationally and with more sense, I think of ways to get out. Banging on the locked doors with all my strength, hoping and praying that someone will pass by and help me out. After a few minutes of pounding the solid wood exit, I can hear a noise coming from up the stairs. I look around and now I realise just how unkempt this place actually is: there are torn and old posters on the walls and all over the floor; litter is scattered around my feet and leads a filthy trail up the derelict stairs that reach to the flats above.

The sounds I hear reverberating through the walls above me seem to imitate the sounds of howling and banging; it is as if the flats are talking to each other, having conversations about things, possibly about me.

Am I becoming paranoid?

Once again a thought fills my head, but this time a different, more horrifying thought than before, "Is there anyone else trapped in here with me?" I start to visualise some stranger's pounding footsteps coming towards me. I listen intently for movement but can't hear anything, no one and nothing but the buildings' conversations can be head. I try to relax, but I am still waiting for a sound, a sound from above me.

This daunting, icy silence is tense and unnerving. A biting shiver bolts down my spine, making me leap with shock. My mind returns to thoughts of fear.

A tear trickles down my cheek and it hits my mouth; I taste the bitter liquid and slump to the ground, resting against the wall, giving up. My senses are overwhelmed at every angle; I can smell musty wet paper, see rusty door hinges, litter-and a brick. A wonderfully strong brick. As I pick it up, the noise that I was waiting to hear pierces throughout the building, breaking the dead silence and making me drop the brick in shock, losing it down a hole, a crack in the foundations of this dangerous cage in which I am held. I feel like an animal looking out through the doors on a free world, a world in which I cannot reach.

I begin to mutter to myself in disbelief, "My hope to get out of here is gone". I am once again trapped with no hope of being rescued, of getting out.

Once again I slump down by the doors that lock me in, but this time I notice something, something that I had not spotted before now. Bolts on the doors, rusty decaying old bolts that won't budge. There are various bolts on these doors, including three on the bottom and one leading up the side of each door. Inch by inch, I begin to unsettle the rusty old bolts on the left door but only manage to succeed in unlocking two of those four bolts on that stubborn old door. The others refused to budge.

I advance on to the right door, realising I have no hope with the left one; maybe this door will be more compliant with my intentions. I set to work on the bolts that lock it in place, frantically wondering if I can succeed this time. I only need to succeed in prying open three bolts and I am free.

This is the door which ensnared me as I first entered the building, therefore only the bottom three bolts are keeping it from opening. Hope surges through my entire body as I set to work on loosening the decaying bolts.

With a rusty crack, I unlock the first bolt after a minute or two of loosening the rusty metal. With the second bolt came greater difficulty, I spent my time frantically trying to get it to move just an inch until I finally succeeded. Now I have reached the same dilemma as I did with the first door. Again, I can hear footsteps, but now they are right above me: pounding, slamming, heavy footsteps. Stomping down the stairs reaching towards me. Once again, adrenaline surges through my veins, empowering me, with all my effort and might, I manage to open the last bolt to the door on the right, and as it screeches open, so do the forbidden doors. Relief explodes out of me.

 I can walk free.

Cool, fresh air hits my body as I jolt out of the building, just as the feet reach the last few steps to the floor where I am. With all my strength, I am able to slam the door back shut and bolt the doors from the outside. I make sure the bolts are secure, no-one is getting those unlocked, especially from inside the building. As I get up off the ground I can feel piercing eyes, staring and glaring into the very depths of me. I look through the glass windows, into the building where I was just held captive, I can see a man standing there, his eyes dark and cold. Now he is trapped inside the building. I can see that he is holding a rope and I realise what he would do if I let him out. Adrenaline is still pumping through my veins. I am almost shaking from the rush of energy coursing through me. The realisation of what has happened, what is still happening, dawns on me.

I need to get some help, now!

Now running homewards as fast as I can with all the remaining energy that is left in my body after that terrible ordeal, the rush of energy is beginning to wear off and I am feeling weaker, tired from everything that has happened. I can now hear the distant pounding of fists on the window pain of the doors that now hold him hostage.

Like an animal.

To my disbelief I hear the blood curdling sound of smashing glass and the mind twisting creaking of what must be the doors bursting open.

I can once again hear pounding footsteps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note:

Hey Guys thanks for reading my short text, this is my first post onto the site, I would love to hear comments on what you think of my lttle short text.

Any tips? Any criticisms? Any Comment I would be greatful for =D 

Thanks again,

Sammie xx