Deathly Hallows1 Pt. 1: Muggles

Start from the beginning

"What took you two so long?" his mother asked.

"Well, I had to let that new house-elf go after an unfortunate Apparating incident involving my foot took place. Your sister was just helping me make sure the elf would never want to come back."

Draco's mother narrowed her eyes. "Honestly, Lucius! She was the third new one this month."

"Can you imagine what would have happened to her if she had stepped on the Dark Lord's foot?" Draco heard his mother's sharp intake of breath and agreed. If Voldemort used the Cruciatus Curse on someone for being late, he couldn't fathom what would have happened to poor Milly.

There was suddenly a chorus of chairs scraping against the marble as Voldemort strode in through the door. Draco hurriedly stood up as well before sitting back down as Voldemort did. Voldemort's cold eyes surveyed the room, landing briefly on each of the people at the table until finally landing on the empty seat that should have been occupied by Snape. "Where is Severus?" he asked, addressing the room. When no one answered, Voldemort started to drum his fingers on the oak of the table, a telltale sign he was getting angry.

Luckily, Snape entered at that moment, looking quickly at the end of the room where the girl was floating. Draco saw recognition flash through his face and his dread heightened. If Snape recognized her, she could be Hermione. He swallowed nervously and his grip tightened on the table. "Severus, I was beginning to worry you'd lost your way. Come, we've saved you a seat." Voldemort's voice snapped him out of his thoughts and he watched as Snape took a seat. "You bring news, I trust?"

"It will happen Saturday next at nightfall," Snape replied, referring to Merlin knows what. Draco wasn't kept informed of the going-ons of the Death Eaters after he had failed to kill Dumbledore. He was perfectly fine with that fact, except for it made meetings like these terribly confusing.

"I've heard differently, my Lord," came Rowle's deep voice, "Dawlish, the Auror, let slip that the Potter boy would not be moved till the thirtieth of this month, the day before he turns seventeen." Ahh, so they were talking about Potter. He just hoped that Hermione wouldn't be in danger because of this plan.

"This is a false trail. The Auror Office no longer plays any part in the protection of Harry Potter. Those closest to him believe we have infiltrated the Ministry," Snape rebutted.

"Ha! They've got that right, 'aven't they!" A few Death Eaters laughed at Akinston's joke, but most stayed silent.

As the laughter died out, Voldemort spoke. "What say you, Pius?" Draco turned his head toward the other end of the table where Pius was sitting quietly.

"One hears many things, my Lord, whether the truth is among them is not always clear," he said evasively.

Voldemort let out a disgusting laugh. "Spoken like a true politician. You will, I think, prove most useful, Pius." The corners of Pius' mouth upturned a little at the compliment. "Where will he be taken? The boy, I mean."

"To a safe house. Most likely the home of someone in the Order. Once it's been given every manner of protection, it will be impractical to attack it," Snape replied.

There was a clearing of a throat and Draco realized it was his aunt. "My Lord, I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I'd like to kill the boy." Draco couldn't help but roll his eyes again. Fat chance that Voldemort would ever give that chance away to anyone, even Bellatrix. He would want to kill Potter himself. Suddenly, there were screams from the dungeon.

"Wormtail!" Draco jumped at the volume of Voldemort's voice but kept his face natural when he saw his father's glare. "Have I not spoken to you about keeping our guests quiet?!" Guests! As if! The people in the dungeon were hardly guests, more like prisoners. Draco was the only one who ever bothered going down there to check if they were okay.