"Is that a problem?"

"Not at all! He's a very sweet and kind boy. You two are doing a great job."

"Thank you," Mariana said quietly. "I think that's the best thing we've heard all year."

The fresh air felt nice after being cooped up in the classrooms for the past hour. Mariana led the way with Eddie hot on her heels. The second they were outside and away from the doors, he had her wrapped in a bear hug and spun her around as she laughed. He pressed a kiss to both of her cheeks, her nose, and finally her lips as he set her back down on her feet.

"We are raising a funny, popular, young genius," he cheered. "All thanks to you, Mari."

"Hey, no. You and Shannon did all the work. I can't be reaping the benefit for something I've done nothing to help with."

"Mari, it's been you for the past year and a half. I didn't even know that you were spending time teaching yourself math to help him. You're absolutely amazing, Mariana. I honestly don't know how I lucked out and somehow convinced you to have me in your life."

She looked both ways to make sure there were no prying eyes before she pulled him down for a searing kiss. "Let's go pick up our funny, popular, young genius from Pepa's. I think he deserves some ice cream."

"You spoil him."

"Good."

//

Mariana was content with just laying on the couch, her head resting on Eddie's chest as he ran his fingers through her hair. She let out a soft sigh and shut her eyes at the soothing touch. They knew they should get up and clean or something mature like that but frankly, a nap sounded nice. Her shift at the hospital started in two hours.

And then his phone rang.

"Hey Carla," he greeted. His hand stilled and Mariana lifted her head, frowning at his pale face. He quickly gripped her hand with his, nodding along to whatever the person was saying.

"Yes. Yeah, we'll be right there. Thank you," he finally said and ended the call.

"You're scaring me," Mariana exhaled. "What? What happened?"

"Christopher fell on the playground and was hurt. Carla said he's fine, but-"

"We're going," she finished his statement, practically jumping over the back of the couch to pull her shoes on and grab the keys to his truck. She stared at the jangling metal for a moment and took a deep breath to ground herself.

"I'll drive."

"You have work," he protested.

"Doesn't matter. I'll call Leslie and she'll have to understand. Christopher and you always come first."

They rode in silence to the school, an underlying panic buzzing through their veins. Carla said he was fine but for two first responders, any injury made them nervous. Eddie practically charged into the school and the poor front desk secretary waved them through with wide eyes.

"Carla!" Eddie called as soon as they stepped outside. "What the hell happened?"

"I told you Christopher is fine. You two didn't have to come down here," she explained. "It's just some scrapes and bruises."

"How did he get hurt?" Mariana interjected.

"Well, it turns out that Christopher and skateboards don't get along very well."

"You let him skateboard?" Eddie interrogated Ms. Flores.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Diaz. We didn't know one of the kids had brought a skateboard."

"You didn't know? He could've broken his neck."

"I know, and I feel terrible. The other kids were showing him how to ride it and they didn't know that-"

"Didn't they? No, let's push the kid with CP around on a skateboard for fun. You let them make a fool out of my son."

"Eddie, it's not her fault," Mariana warned. "How on earth can she keep an eye on every single kid here at every single moment?"

"Yes, thank you. I promise you that's not what happened here," Ms Flores stammered out.

The nurse's door opened and Christopher slowly came out, looking absolutely pitiful. Mariana kneeled down next to Eddie, carefully checking over his cuts and bruises with a trained eye.

"I'm sorry about my clothes," he mumbled.

"No, none of that. Don't even worry about that," Mariana assured him. "Are you okay? Do you feel okay?"

He nodded tiredly and she immediately opened up her arms, letting him stumble into her embrace. She carded her fingers through his hair and gently hugged him.

"I can run by the house and grab some clean clothes for him to change into. Mari, don't you need to be heading to the hospital soon?"

"Leslie said I can come in at 2," Mariana sighed as she pulled away from Chris, flattening down some of the hair she messed up and winking at him as she booped his chin.

"We're done for today," Eddie announced, scooping up his son. "Come on, we're leaving."

"But school isn't over!" Christopher whined.

"Eddie, c'mon," Mariana muttered.

"It is now."

He started towards the door, leaving Mariana to shoot Carla a look that told the older woman everything. The latina stopped in front of Ms. Flores and sighed.

"I'm sorry. It's been a hell of a year and he's just scared," she explained. "I'll talk to him about it. I'm sorry."

"No need to apologize." Ms Flores offered her a small smile and Mariana nodded, turning and following her boyfriend to the car.