CHAPTER 4: ADEN'S LITTLE ELF

ابدأ من البداية

"Oh no?! Please!"

I'm thinking about running back to the disagreeable flight attendant when I realize why I couldn't see the counter. It's hidden behind a long and messy line of people with expressions as discouraged as mine surely looks.

"How about you get us some coffee while I'm taking care of this?" Aden nods to the long line in front of us, and he's probably the only person around whose face isn't crumpling down, as even the kids are half-passing out in their parents' arms.

"You would? Thank you!"

He is really perfect! I guess that's how you know if a man is the one, when he sacrifices to wait in line for you.

"Black coffee for you, right?" I ask, like a good student, pretending that I've learned my lesson, when in fact, I know this since a long time.

"Yes, and you..." His eyebrows furrow slightly, his beautiful eyes closing in a second of concentration. "Cinnamon latte?"

"Yes." I smile as he reopens his eyes, giving me one more reason to like this warm drink.

Aden is even more comforting than any sweet drink, and my heart is full of hope and coziness as I head in the direction of the green Starbucks sign on the other side of the wide hall.

"So there is a bus in twenty minutes that will get us to Vegas, and then we have a flight to Jersey."

My mind only retains the word 'Vegas', already flying to romantic daydreams, yet I force myself to focus on Aden's expectant eyes.

"Awesome! Thank you so much! I don't know how to thank you!"

"Oh, it's nothing." Aden shrugs, sitting down on the white plastic chair next to me. "We have a deal after all."

Here, my heart comes back to earth, Vegas appearing so far. But it's just the beginning of the holidays; I can't give up. We're spending a lot of time together and alone; that's already amazing.

"Since we have a little time alone..." Aden starts, my heart skipping a beat and taking off back to Vegas and daydreams with my mind. "Would you mind reading my first article? You're the expert of Christmas so..." He fiddles nervously with his phone.

I imagine it must be complicated for him to come up with a first article already when he's barely learned anything from the holidays.

But he really has to stop using words with double-meanings if he wants me to concentrate.

"Yes, sure." I hand him his cup of black coffee – well, his second cup because the line has been quite long – and in exchange, he gives me his phone.

                       'The Christmas lessons

This year, the Holidays column is written by me, Aden Richards, the economy reporter, and there probably couldn't be a worse person to write it. 

It isn't that I hate the holidays. I don't feel anything toward the holidays, and I don't know anything about them. For me, they just represent the period of the year where most businesses make the biggest profits and the rise of the markets. But I'm not here to talk about this. I'm here for the holidays, and I was about to buy the 'Christmas for the Dummies', already lost in the billion of pages I got with my search 'Holidays' in the Google bar, when Santa got me an early gift and sent me one of his elves to help me find the Christmas spirit.

So far I've learned that the holidays are more than just a marketing business of toy stores, expensive food, and shiny decorations; they are all about sharing moments with your family and loved ones. I still don't understand the principle of why this time of the year is special for this. But I'm embarking on a journey to find out, and I'm taking you with me to discover the Christmas spirit; that's what the little elf has promised.'

"I hope you don't take badly the 'elf' part?" Aden asks before I can even finish properly reading the article, his eyebrows furrowing as he searches for my eyes. "I thought it was funny with the Christmas spirit and all..."

"Yes, it's perfect. It's really cute." I smile, my cheeks probably taking the same red shade as a little elf's.

I don't know how I would react if it was anyone else calling me like that, but being Aden's little elf makes my heart flutter.

"The whole article is perfect, and I have no doubt you'll write an amazing and unique column all week."

"Thanks to your help!" he adds with a gentle smile, and I swear we have one of those special magical moments again as I look back in his eyes, melting in the warm brown shades.

"Call for the bus 1012 in direction of Las Vegas." The gravelly voice of an old man shrilling through a loudspeaker interrupts this beautiful moment before anything can even arise.

"It's our bus, let's go." Aden gets up, grabbing the heavier bags like the gentleman he is.

I finish my latte and follow him, my stomach and my chest full of warm cinnamon.

However, when I step into the overheated and overfilled bus, I freeze. Our seats are assigned with our tickets, so Aden and I aren't next to each other, and worst, he's sitting next to what could be a Victoria Secret model, while I'm squeezed between two overweighted old men. They are sitting a few rows ahead of me, and I have a perfect view of the gorgeous woman offering Aden a perfect view of her generous chest.

"Would it be possible for one of you to switch seats? I would love to be next to my friend there?" I ask kindly to the two men on each side of me, even if inside my thoughts are starting to not be so kind as I glimpse the brown-haired model putting her hands all over Aden's arm.

"No, we have assigned seats, we don't change them." The one on my left replies, putting his sleeping mask on and spreading his arms a little wider over my seat, while the one on my right only grumbles a cold 'no'.

Despite their appearances, neither of them is Santa Claus; it's clear. We aren't in a Christmas movie, and I need to do something if I don't want my Christmas romance to be stolen by someone else. 

So far, Aden seems totally indifferent to the woman's advances, nodding politely to whatever she is saying and checking his phone. He can be so oblivious, and I'm glad it's not only with me. It's like he is immune to anything love or flirt-related, and he's clearly blind to his own charms. Though the woman sitting next to him seems very virulent as she leans closer to him, almost resting her head on his strong shoulder, and my daydreams about Vegas start to turn into nightmares where I end up alone and abandoned by the roadside.

The journey has begun, and already there are a lot of obstacles on the road! Will Penelope's daydreams turn into a nightmare because of a canceled plane and a Victoria-Secret-looking woman? 😅😬 Or will she be more than Aden's little elf? 😏 Tell me what you think in the comments! 😉

Also, a lot of you are impatient to meet Theone, but remember that great things come to those who wait, and bad news for Penelope too 😉

Don't forget to vote ⭐ if you like the story so far, and add the story to your reading lists/library and follow me to get notifs when I update the next chapters 😉 because yes, I will update this story really often until Christmas!

Your comments, votes, and feedback are warming my heart even more than any cinnamon latte! 😁🥰❤😘