Ord. of The Phoenix Pt. 2: Patronus

Start from the beginning

Hermione walked up to stand next to the dummy and as Crabbe stepped in, the portrait swung closed behind him. "I assume you all are here because you want to learn how to produce a Patronus, or Draco forced you, but either way I can't promise I'll teach this correctly. After all, I just learned this myself. I'm going to try to do this promptly because we don't want to be caught. Any questions?" Hermione said before taking out her wand. When no one spoke, she started the "lesson".

"Okay, so I guess the first thing you should do is get your wand out and I'll give you a little background information on the Patronus spell. It is most commonly used to protect yourself from dementors, but can also be used to send messages. A corporeal Patronus is the strongest, and this is when the Patronus takes the shape of an animal. For example, mine is an otter. Expecto Patronum!" A glowing blue otter shot out of her wand and leaped around the room. It vanished when she started talking again. "Basically what you need to do to produce one is just think of a very strong memory. It doesn't necessarily have to be a happy one, but it does have to have meaning. For example, the memory I used was when Draco first asked me to be his girlfriend. Feel free to give it a try and make sure to focus. Also, don't expect it to work on your first attempt. " The Slytherins spread out all over the room and started attempting the spell.

Instead of trying the spell, Draco walked over to Hermione. "Well, well, well. You thought of me for your memory?" Draco teased.

Hermione blushed and hit his arm lightly. "Shove off. You should try the spell." She walked off to check on the other Slytherins and shot him an encouraging smile.

Draco laughed and took out his wand. He focused his mind on the first time he rode a broom because that should be meaningful, right? "Expecto Patronum!" he yelled and -- nothing happened. He tried again to no avail.

After his next five attempts, he was starting to give up when he heard Hermione clapping. There it was, a corporeal Patronus running out of Pansy's wand taking the form of a Russian blue cat. Draco groaned in frustration and turned back to his own spell. Maybe it was time to try a different memory. He thought about that moment during his third year, in the Hospital Wing when he kissed Hermione for the first time and focused on the magic he could feel. "Expecto Patronum!" There it was. At first, it was just a wisp of blue light, but it turned into the sleek figure of an otter. Hermione gasped as she walked over to him.

"Great job, Draco!" she exclaimed. "An otter; wow! You know what that means?"

The Patronus disappeared as he lost focus and turned to his girlfriend. "What does it mean?"

"Well, I've been doing a lot of reading about Patronuses, and apparently if you love someone, your Patronus will take the form of theirs. I guess this shows just how much you love me," Hermione said, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Oh, stop acting like you didn't already know." Draco punctuated his statement by leaning down to kiss her again. She moved her lips against his and placed her hands to his chest. Their kiss was interrupted by gagging sounds coming from Blaise in the corner. "Just because you are jealous, doesn't mean you have to interrupt us," Draco called over to his friend.

"Your PDA is distracting me from my Patronus," Blaise called back before turning away to continue practicing the spell. Draco rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to Hermione who had let go.

"You realize I have to go help everyone else, right?" Hermione asked. Draco nodded in understanding and gave her one more peck on the lips before she went over to where Theo was practicing. Pansy walked over to Draco, replacing Hermione who had just left.

"Congrats on producing one. Although, you do realize this means I'm better than you because I produced one first?"

"Or it just means you're better at thinking up memories. What was yours anyway?" Draco asked nonchalantly.