06| That New Year's Together

31 December, 2013

Durban International Airport, Durban

The last morning of the year, is usually the one that you reserve for contemplation. Mostly you just want to sit back and relive all that happened in the year and then wish the best for the coming year. For Virat, things were going quite like this. Sitting at the Durban airport, all what he could think about was how lucky he had been this year.

He saw some monumental changes in his life, both professionally and personally. He actually witnessed himself change from a chubby Delhi lad who plays for India into a talented fitness driven batsman making a permanent place for himself in the ODIs and T20Is.

And ofcourse, he doesn't need to mention what a joy it has been, winning the Champions Trophy. It was one of those moments where he knew he belonged here, where those 15 people in front of his eyes were as good as his second family. Winning the world cup wasn't that of an emotional achievement for him than this was.

The world cup team was a close knit team, but this...this was a family. He ran a glance around and the scene couldn't be more pleasurable for him. At a little distance there was Jaddu who was tactfully mimicking someone from the team, it appeared it was Puji who was at the target. The whole team was having fun at his cost and he ofcourse didn't mind, just giving some smiles at random.

His train of thoughts went back few hours, when he was giving all puppy faces to the team, coaxing them to come along with him back to India. He wanted to go but not alone. Didn't I tell Virat hates travelling alone? The team however acted indifferent, leaving him sulk for the rest of the day, but eventually when he came down the following morning to check out, to his surprise, the whole team was already in the bus waiting for him. Can team India let their heartbeat be away from them?

“We're sorry Vee”, Ajinkya's soft voice cut through to Virat, making him glance to his side. “I told them not to listen but...”. Virat wasn't sure if he was even angry at them. Had it not been for their intrusion, he didn't think he'd have it in him to tell MS about it.

“Not holding anything against anyone. It all worked out for the good in the end”, the tense shoulders of Ajinkya relaxed and a smile erupted. “You like her right?”. He asked. And Virat smiled. Can he say that? Well if he's flying across continents to see her then probably he does.

Ahh! How he can't wait to reach Mumbai.

***

31 December, 2013

Anushka's House, Mumbai

In the cozy confinement of her bed, Anushka was watching one of her all time favourite, DDLJ. She had made peace with this way of bringing in New Year. What could she do more even? It was in these moments of isolation that stars revert to social media accounts. Right now, she was scrolling the feed of Facebook, going through some posts of fan pages and reading some comments on her own post.

Positive were to be kept in mind and non constructive negatives were to be forgotten. This cycle would have continued had an article not caught her eyes.

"Indian team flies back home early? Bolly connection the reason?"

Is there something which she could ridicule more than this shitty baseless article? She talked to Virat this morning and he was elaborating on his plans of how the team is going to celebrate tonight, in SA.