03| Friends

Edited the entire chapter so lost all my inline comments 🥺 don't shy away from commenting people🤍

***

2 November, 2013
Bangalore, India

“Kaunsi aatma aayi thi tere mein, Sharma ji?”, after a thumping victory over Australia, courtesy Rohit's double ton, the mood in the dressing room was more than jolly.

Generally, after you've added a herculean achievement to your name, you'll have people sing praises in your honour but that's not the case when you're with the Indian Cricket Team. You just get your leg pulled more than usual.

“Isko sirf Faulkner ki band bajani thi”, said Yuvraj, elbowing Virat to continue. “Aur Maxwell ki bhi. Sar pe chadh raha tha”, Virat sniggered. There might have been an exchange of words between them throughout the series which did pump him up.

“Tu chadhne deta hai usse”, Suresh Raina said, keeping his hand on Virat's shoulder, giving him a friendly smile. “Nahi Sonu Bhai. Vo jyada bolta hai. What was the need of unnecessarily bad mouthing Rohit?”.

Rohit, who was in the other corner of the room, was suddenly interested in what Suresh and Virat were talking about. “Maxwell se tune mere liye panga liya?”, he asked.

“Vo kisi ke liye bhi bolta toh mai usko chup karata”, Virat shrugged as if it was a no big deal while Suresh shook his head. Virat will never change. “Tu chup reh sakta na. Teri match fee deduct hui na faltu!".

“Agar koi mere teammate ko bolega toh mai chup nahi rahunga”, he declared. “Jab mere ko farak nahi pada toh tereko kyu itta padi hai”, this was usual from Rohit. He didn't want anyone to pick a fight for him and Virat will not leave a person if they say anything even remotely disrespectful of his teammate.

Obviously he was on his way out to get his phone, a little off mood with the entire conversation that happened. “Rohit tu jaanta hai na vo aisa nahi hai…”, Virat heard Suresh say something to him, but he didn't stop snooping around. Anyway the mobile phone looked rather interesting at that time.

Virat pressed one button, then another and soon he was in the lobby right outside the dressing room waiting for Anushka to pick up her phone, which she did after four rings.

“Heyy!!”, and the anger was already dissipating. “Hey!”said Virat trying to stop a smile. “I thought victory means you're in a happy mood".

“I was but a little fight happened and it did irritate me a bit”, Virat spoke with a little disappointment on his tongue. “With that Glenn guy from Australia?”, Anushka asked with curiosity.

“With him too but that riled me up for good”, a small feud never upsets Virat till the time it's from the opposition. Taking a deep breath, Virat spoke, “Rohit said I picked up a fight unnecessarily but according to me it was needed. I cannot let people disrespect my teammates”.

“Ohkay and …", the pause which Anushka took gave the impression that she was waiting for more. Like there was more to this story and indeed there was.

“I don't like it when he does this. It wasn't specifically because of him. I would have fought for anyone else too”, Virat was unconsciously ranting and Anushka was patiently listening.