"Toph is unfaithful."

"What?" he asked, startling back. Mai inhaled hard, taking his shocked tone for the betrayal of his feelings, but in all honesty, Zuko was surprised Toph had romantic affections for anyone.

"It's Prince Sokka, your highness!" Mai continued, staring at Zuko, rubbing his hand. "I just found them in the library and they were..." She gulped. "They were entirely focused on each other. There's no mistaking it. And I just didn't know what to do or who to tell," she continued. "I'm so sorry, Zuko," she said, truly sincere.

Oh, spirits, Zuko realized with growing horror. She must think that he was torn up, that Toph had all but broken his heart. She was looking at him with such an expression and had the circumstances been different, it would have been endearing. She was so worried about his feelings, of how this would shatter him. She wasn't tattling on Toph hoping to get her thrown out, she was doing it because she thought it was unfair for Zuko not to know this, to be led on.

At that moment, Zuko naively believed he could fix this before it became a bigger deal than it was. Get Toph out quickly, maybe. Make up some story. He could-

"What's going on?" Ozai asked, exiting his chamber, still wearing his clothes from the tournament. Ursa followed after, staring between Mai and Zuko with mild surprise.

"I'm so sorry, my Lord," Mai bowed deeply, "For intruding into the Royal Family's personal quarters at this hour, but I...I needed to speak to Prince Zuko."

"Yes, and we have," Zuko said, trying to sound chipper, hoping to distract from Mai's face and mournful tone. He knew that, on some level, she'd admired Toph and her fighting ability. It had slipped out on one of their dates, though she'd never admit it again. Maybe she was affected by this realization – and the thought of another contestant leaving – more than he'd assumed. "I will, uhm, go and look into this Mai, right now."

He tried to spin on his heels, ready to go and find Toph and yell, in between throwing her suitcase at her, while sending her quietly from the premises. Mai followed, with no intention of telling his father until Ozai's voice paused them.

"Lady Mai, what did you come to tell my son?"

Zuko and Mai both turned. Mai's face was back to impassive. She'd managed to pull herself together, but it was too late. Perhaps Ozai had seen her expression previously. Perhaps he'd heard the waver in Zuko's voice. Perhaps he didn't trust Zuko at all.

"Well..." Mai looked to Zuko, wondering if she should. He wondered if he asked her to lie, would she? She was far more on his side than his father's. There was no time for furtive conversations, no time to plan. And even still, he was not sure he could ask that of her, or that his father wouldn't find out the truth anyway. He gave a grim nod.

"I was worried about, uh, a contestant." Mai still tried to veer away from the truth. "And Prince Zuko said he'd take care of it."

"Oh, of what nature?"

"They were...locked in an embrace. Not Prince Zuko and this, erm, lady, but another man," Mai said tentatively.

"Who?" Ozai's voice was deadly sharp. Zuko felt like screaming. He had lost it. If only he'd ushered Mai out quicker. If only he'd asked Mai to speak in his room, or outside the Royal bedrooms. If only he'd taken a thousand choices that wouldn't lead them here, to this second where he knew Toph's fate was going to be something unspeakable.

"Lady Bei Fong and Prince Sokka, Fire Lord Ozai," Mai said quietly, eyes down, shivering at Ozai's murderous stare. She sent a look to Zuko, a flicker of her eyes sideways.

Zuko closed his eyes, wishing he could send himself back a day previous, and be anywhere but here.

And, days later with still no sleep, he was still thinking that.