Mark look uneasily at Sophie, hoping the doctor was wrong but he told the doctor that he was permitted to call on them in a few days.

As Mark began to leave with Sophie in his arms he thanked the doctor, “Thank you kind sir. Your deed will not be forgotten.”

“It is what I do your highness.”

Mark thanked the doctor again and then exited the building. The crowd had only grown larger since they had gone in. William and Robert were trying to keep the crowd at bay.

“There’s nothing to see here folks, move along, move along.” William shouted but no one moved.

Mark told the two men to come and help him open the doors to the carriage but just then Sophie came to.

Sophie opened her eyes slowly but shut them almost immediately, the light hurt her eyes. Her head was throbbing.  She could feel her father walking, each step rocking her body causing the pain in her head to flare. Sophie tried to tell her father to stop but no words came out.

“Your Highness, the Princess is awake!” Sophie heard William’s voice, that too upset her head.

Sophie looked up at saw her father’s face, he seemed worried. She could hear other unidentifiable voices, and each of them was like a blow to her head. Sophie let out a cry of pain. Her father pulled her in closer to his chest. She then felt her father step onto and into the carriage. He sat down as the door was closed. It was much quieter now.

Sophie tried to speak again but all that came out was a cough.

“Shh, my darling, try to go back to sleep. The pain will fade if you sleep.” Mark whispered to Sophie. Sophie relaxed and felt the pain subside the littlest but

But then the carriage began to move, bumping along the uneven dirt road. The bumps in the road combined with the noise from the wheels and horses caused Sophie’s pain not only to return but to reach its climax. Sophie couldn’t even shriek in pain, she just laid her father’s arms shaking in pain.

Mark knew Sophie was hurting but he could do nothing. The doctor could nothing. No one could do anything. That is what frustrated Mark more than anything, how was it that he could protect his country but not his family. How did that make sense?

The pair soon arrived to the castle in Coe Hill. Once Mark was walking again Sophie fell asleep.

 As soon as Mark and Sophie had entered, Grandmother Elizabeth ran up to Mark with a glare on her face, “You are late.” Grandmother Elizabeth said without even a glance to Sophie, “I had tea planned for an hour ago.”

Mark could not contain his frustration, “Can you not see my Sophie is hurt? Are your blind woman? Show me to her chambers and tell a maid to fetch some refreshments for when she wakes up.”

Grandmother Elizabeth reeled back from shock. She was not use to being spoken to in such a manner. She gave Mark a death stare, “If you think I will tolerate being spoken to like that in my own house-”

Mark cut her off, his face blazed red with anger, his voice sharp and blunt, “Let me re-phrase what I just said. You will show me to Sophie’s chambers and you will tell your maids to fetch her some water. I was not making suggestions Elizabeth, I was giving orders. I am your superior and you will follow the orders I give. Is that understood?”

When Grandmother Elizabeth didn’t respond Mark turned to one of the nearby maids and demanded to be taken to Sophie’s chambers.

The maid did not want to lose her job but she did not want to anger the prince either. Luckily for the maid, Grandfather Luke entered right at that moment, “I will show them to the chambers Matilda and Matilda please bring the Princess some tea and hot soup, as well some ice for the bruise.”

Matilda did as she was told. Grandfather Luke signalled for Mark to follow him. They left Grandmother Elizabeth in the entry way.

Once Mark and Luke were a fair way down the hall Luke asked Mark what had happened to injure Sophie. Mark explained to Luke what had occurred.

Afterwards Luke exclaimed, “Good gracious, that’s awful! Did you take her to the doctor here in town?”

“Yes, I did. He stitched up her cut and put her arm in a sling. He also said that she had a concussion but he couldn’t do anything for that. He mentioned also that the cut could perhaps be infected and that she would get an infection.”

“I hope that he is wrong about the infection. There is not much to help with them and sometimes they can be very excruciating.”

“I share your hope.” Mark said looking down at his sleeping daughter.

“I suppose the two of you will need to stay longer now?”

“Yes, two weeks at least. And if Sophie becomes sick with an infection, we will need to stay longer, though I am not sure by how much.”

“You may stay as long as you need to.” Then Grandfather Luke read Mark’s mind, “Do not worry Mark, I will keep Elizabeth out of your way.”

Mark appeared to be relieved when he heard that, he thanked Luke graciously.

“Here we are.” Luke announced coming to a small door, which lead to quite a substantial room. Mark laid Sophie on the bed, under the covers. He smoothed her hair back.

“I will have someone send up your things.” Luke said, closing the door quietly.

Mark whispered almost inaudibly, “Your Grandfather Luke is a good man Monkey.”

“I think so too.” Sophie’s hoarse voice muttered.

Mark leaned forward, waiting for more but Sophie had already drifted into a peaceful sleep.