55. Sudden Bravery

Start from the beginning

“Every one of you,” he lied, his hand rising to move along the lines of soldiers, “has to be a hundred per cent behind this, because we need you to fight with everything you've got. And every one of you—” his hand moved to the villagers, “needs to be one hundred per cent behind this, because we will be risking your lives and the lives of your children in a single, momentous battle. You have a right to decide.”

Or so she says, he thought grimy to himself. You're damned lucky that you've got the woman I love as your mistress, or I would have you on the wall in two shakes of a devil's tail.

“What does that mean, exactly?” a voice asked.

Reuben sighed.

“It means that we all have to agree that this is the best course of action to take. And it means that the men who go up on the wall to fight for all our lives have to be volunteers. This is no ordinary fight. For better or for worse, it is the last battle in this war.”

Anxious whispers rose up in the crowd. Some for, some against the plan. It seemed as though it could go either way. Then, Ayla climbed from the platform. Stepping among her people, she took the hands of the first woman that came into her way. Ayla gave a little smile, and the woman smiled back, uncertainly.

“I know you're frightened,” Ayla said, and although she was looking only at the woman, it was as though she were speaking to all the people, not just to one. “But really, there is nothing to be afraid of. We all were already condemned to death. Now, by God's grace, this miraculous chance has arisen for us to save ourselves.”

Reuben had problems associating the treachery of a slimy little worm like Hans with the Grace of God, but then, he was no expert on the divine, preferring to rely on the satanic. Ayla's words seemed to work fine so far.

“We have only to grasp it, and the way to freedom and safety is open. I know it is a terrible thing to commit your lives and those of your children to a single chance—but at least it will be a chance at life, not at death, or slavery under the Margrave. I say we do this. Are you with me?”

And the shout of the crowd went up in a thundering chorus:

“Yay!”

Reuben watched Ayla embracing the older woman and, not for the first time, wondered how she managed to have this effect on people. She hadn't even needed a horsewhip.

“Very well,” he called out, and the jubilation abruptly cut off. “Now that we've decided that we're going to fight, we come to the more important question: who is going to fight.” He glared at the assembled soldiers, sending them as clear a message as possible as to what he thought of people who didn't volunteer. “Make no mistake—this is going to be unlike any battle you've fought before. The enemy will be like a caged lion, mad with rage. They will want to get out, and they will have to go through you to get there! That must not be allowed to happen, or we are lost. So I ask: Who is going to stand beside me on the wall tonight when the moon comes up and the Margrave's army enters our castle?”

There was silence over the assembled soldiers. They threw each other uneasy looks. Clearly, they were uncomfortable under the gazes of the villagers around them. But they probably reasoned that an enemy's sword in the gut would be a jolly side more uncomfortable.

Then, a chirpy little voice suddenly came from among the crowd.

“Me! Me! I'll fight with you! I'll smash them all to bits! Just you wait and see!”

The crowd parted to reveal a little girl, hopping up and down eagerly. Reuben heard Ayla's groan, and his lips twitched.

“And you are?”