Unspoken mantra

Gavin sat down on the tree stump with a sigh. He lifted the water bottle to his lips and swallowed the cooling water gratefully. It was a blessing that they had found water in this desolate wasteland that used to be home, let alone clean water.

He looked over at Stephen, who was also drinking the water like his life depended on it. Because, well, it did.

Pulling a small pastry from the bag on the wagon, the younger of the two survivors stared at it longingly. He knew it was stupid, but the almost meaningless piece of food sparked memories of when times were simpler, like when their mother baked for them, or when Ho-

Don't start reminiscing now. A voice in his head hissed, reminding him of one all too familiar, all too painful. Stay focused.

Reluctantly, he gave in, taking a bite of the pastry.

Some small part of him wanted to talk to his brother about the worries on his mind, about all the things bothering him and the memories plaguing him.

But he knew from experience that words brought pain. It was their unspoken mantra, one that kept them safe and calm, burying the trauma deep down in their throats.

Gavin was starting to get sick of their mantra.

But no matter what he thought of it, he couldn't voice it. He didn't really want to. It would make his brother upset. And he hated seeing his brother upset.

So he swallowed down the biting comments and any other words that threatened to surface, moving to lie down on the ground due to lack of a comfortable sleeping spot, letting the darkness consume him.

------

Gavin's eyes fluttered open slightly. He blinked at the harsh sunlight, letting out a groan of-

Wait, sunlight?

Bolting upright, he looked around in a panic. Their supplies, food, and wagon were gone, leaving only an empty base.

With horror, he also noted that his brother was gone.

"Stephen..!" He choked out, gasping at the sound of his own voice which he had not used in months.

It was raspy and quiet, almost a whisper, yet somehow louder than anything he'd ever said. Perhaps because he hadn't said anything since-

Don't. Even. Think about it. You don't wanna go back there.

Pushing that thought to the back of his mind, he wandered over to the spot where his brother had been, hoping beyond hope that he was wrong in what he was assuming.

He saw nothing to neither confirm nor deny his fears.

Maybe he wasn't really gone? Maybe he just took all the stuff and left me here on my own, I wouldn't blame him, no-one else seems to stick around, no-one else seems to want to stay alive long enough to leave anyway-

Then he heard the telltale squeaking of the wheels, and his fears and anxieties washed away immediately.

Stephen walked over with the wagon and placed it in the middle of their (temporary) home, slumping down onto the log with a sigh.

Some small part of Gavin asked why Stephen had taken the wagon if he knew he was coming back, but again, he pushed it to back of his mind.

Ignorance is bliss, after all.

And there was nothing more Gavin wanted than to be ignorant to their entire situation.

But he wasn't. This was real. It was a nightmare and he was living it.

And there was nothing he could do about it.