The Cop and the Criminal's Silent Kisses

The Cop and the Criminal’s Silent Kisses

I  lay on my bed thinking about the big Prom on Friday night, with my ipod earphones plugged in and the gentle flow of the music swimming into my ears.  “I can’t wait!  It’s going to be perfect.  Me Kelsie and Jess will go shopping for the perfect prom dress after school tomorrow, and the prom will be amazing.  I finally get to slow dance with the guy of my dreams...after all these years I think I do deserve a guy that will treat me better than Lucas did 2 years ago.  Friday Night will be that one night I get my first kiss.  I couldn’t be more excited.” I said to myself in my head.  I smiled at the thought. 

“What are you smiling about missy?” I heard a voice say.  I pulled out one earphone for my ear and looked to the side to see who it was – my mum.

“Oh nothing I, um, I really like this song.”  I said, smiling nervously.  I didn’t exactly want to tell my mum about how I was daydreaming about my first kiss. 

“Alright then” she replied with a light chuckle.  “What do you want for dinner then hun?”  she asked me as she kissed my forehead.  I roughly wiped it off with a disgusted look on my face, and she laughed again.

‘Remember mum, I’m 15.  PLEASE remember that.” I told her still rubbing at the kiss she had left on my forehead.  “I will eat anything.  You’re choice tonight”  I said smiling.  She looked slightly surprised.

“Really? Are you sure you don’t want anything specific?  You know how picky you and your sister are.”  She told me in a concerned but sarcastic tone.  I just laughed.  “You can ask her, but I’m okay with anything.”  I replied.  She simply said okay and walked out the room in search of my younger sister, Chantal.

I plugged my earphones back in and slightly jumped in shock – I forgot how high the volume level I left it on was.  I must have slept off, because the next thing I heard was “DINNERS READY!” from downstairs, which woke me up.  I sat up, still on my bed, and ruffled my hair while yawning.  I forcefully pulled out my earphones which were surprisingly still plugged in.  I heard a know on my door.

‘ ABBIE!’  screamed my sister as she opened my door with a bang.  ‘DINNER IS READY, GET YOUR BUTT DOWNSTAIRS I WANT TO EAT!’ she yelled at me.

‘Will you shut up I just woke up!  I will be down in a second okay?’ I told her, annoyed.  ‘Well hurry up Abbie, mum says we can’t start eating until everyone is seated at the table, and I’m hungry!’  she said stomping out of my room and down the stairs.  I rolled my eyes and ran my hand through my hair.  My sister was only 13 and she acted like she was 18 sometimes, which agitated me every day.  So that she would shut up, I slipped on my fluffy slippers and made my way downstairs. 

“Sorry, slept off and it took me a while to wake up properly.” I said as I walked in to the dining room and sitting down.  Yes!  Spaghetti Bolognaise!

“That’s okay dear-“ mum started but was cut off.

“No it’s not!  Sit down and let’s eat!”  Chantal said smiling at the thought of food.  God, she was greedy.  We ate as usual – talked about school, commented on things on the TV, the usual really.

“I was watching BBC News last night and saw a documentary on criminals put in jail.”  My dad said to all of us.

“Continue?” my mum said, looking interested.  Me and my sister were too.

“They are going mental.  People being put in jail just can’t take and eventually go crazy overtime.  They showed a hidden video of a prisoner waking up in the middle of the night trying to break his way out of the prison cell.  He eventually ended up crying on the floor because he couldn’t take being in such a small place for a long amount of time.”  He continued.

“Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time!  Right Dad?”  said Chantal feeling like a smart arse.

“Right” dad said winking as he put took a sip of his water.

“Well done, Einstein” I said to Chantal.  She just gave me her ‘evil stare’ until i rolled my eyes and looked away from her.

“There is no need for them to be going crazy.  They have everything they need in jail nowadays.  I was talking to a friend about this same topic a few days ago, and she said they have 3 free meals a day, a TV, a reasonably comfy bed and another source of entertainment, like an X – Box or whatever you kids call it.  All in a prison cell just for them!”  explained my mum.

“An x – box?  That can’t be right!” said my dad disagreeing.

“That is what she told me.  Anyone for dessert?”  said my mum, walking off to the kitchen to grab the  fruit salad she had made.

Thank you for reading!  Please continue, it just gets better, much love!  DemiLoveLocks ♥  x