i. an angel's diary

Some say that humans can be angels on earth. Bullshit.

Humans commit sins every day, some differing in size, but sinful all the same. Angels have to be aware of every move they make, for if they put even a single perfect toe out of line, She would know. There seems to be a misconception that angels can do no wrong, that they are unfailingly kind purely out of the goodness of their boulder-sized hearts.

But Lucifer had to come from somewhere. Satan himself was once an angel, but he desired the same levels of power God possessed. Rather than return God's love and carry out Her tasks, Lucifer rose to a position of great influence in Heaven and then committed unspeakable acts of violence. And so he was stripped of his wings and fell from Heaven. He took large numbers of angels with him to begin an army and the rest is history.

Angels are not flawless, not in the least. They may be the spawn of God and agents of the Heavens, but they are not perfect. They are born into the clouds and melted into perfect molds, fed perfect nectar, and given perfect tasks, but they are not perfect. Their clothes are never a shade other than the purest white, their hair always in ever-sleek locks, their lips always the softest pink cushions, but they are not perfect. It is dangerously easy for angels to slip up. One act of dishonesty, gluttony, greed, lust would get them exiled from the Heavens.

This was especially laborious for one particular angel. Evangeline Serpens, the spawn of Satan himself. She was the product of one of Lucifer's many lustful sins towards humans. When he was expelled from Heaven, he charmed and seduced many women on Earth to extract favors. One of the women went by the name of Juliet Serpens. She, too, had been a fallen angel, but Lucifer hadn't been aware of this. So when Juliet died in the process of giving birth to an angel, she was sent to the Heavens instead of her father. God knew of her parentage, but gave her a chance. She raised Evangeline along with her other angels, prepared her for work with other angels. And now the day has come for her to begin working.

An angel's fifteenth birthday is their coming of age. The day they are given their first — and most important — task.

─────⋅☾☽⋅─────

"Serpens, Evangeline."

The deputy headmaster's voice rang loud and clear through the Great Hall, prompting Evangeline to detach herself from the crowd of much younger students around her and walk up the steps towards the front of the Hall.

When she reached the tiny wooden stool, she found herself face to face with a brown, raggedy hat being held there by the same man who had called her name. Her stormy eyes met the sunken in darkness of the hat's eyes before meeting the periwinkle blue eyes behind the half-moon spectacles of the middle-aged man holding the hat. He had an auburn beard and looked rather eccentric, but good-natured all the same. The man patiently nodded towards the seat, signaling that she should imitate the actions of the first years before her by sitting down.

She sat, and the hat was upon her.

What is happening? Everyone is looking at me. Those boys look greedy.

You have ambition. But you're not a transfer from Beauxbatons, like you claim, are you?

What the devil? Shut up, we're in a room full of ratty kids.

Not to worry, this can be our little secret. As I was saying, ambition. Kindness? It's hard to tell. It takes courage and cunning wit to lie to such a large amount of people. But you don't belong in Slytherin, no, as much as your surname might suggest it.

Get it over with. These boys are strange and I don't like how they are looking at me.

RAVENCLAW!!