Act 24 - We're All Waiting On a Dream That's Hard To Hold

Start from the beginning

                                                                         **********

       It was 6:30 in the morning, the day was Friday, and the dawning of the bright orange sunrise was seeping through the cracks in the blinds of Allie's bedroom window. Instead of getting the last few minutes of sleep she still had, Allie was standing staring at her endless amounts of clothes in her closet. Today is the last day of school for Allie, and she wanted to mark her presence in that school. This was the last outfit and appearance that most of the people she went to school with are going to have of her, and she wanted it to be a good one. 

       Allie had looked at the weather earlier this morning and knew that it was going to be warm and sunny all day, a perfect Texas day. After some consideration, she just decided on a pair of daisy duke shorts accompanied with a nice flowing type of shirt -- she already knew that when Lola saw her this morning she would say "Oooo... you look cute".

       Allie spent extra time on her hair and make-up this morning because today was a very special day in her youth. Allie took one last look in the mirror before she walked upstairs with her backpack slung over her shoulder, and immediately thought to herself: I can just picture Dustin's face now. Dustin always made a face whenever Allie wore her daisy duke's and showed off her firm long legs, it was a I-need-to-go-take-a-cold-shower type of face. 

       Just like any other morning before this one, Allie walked up into the kitchen, set her backpack in the entry way of the front door, and found her mother standing in the kitchen fumbling with the mail -- what's new?. Immediately as Allie had entered into the kitchen like it was her anointing hour or something, her mother's face began to beam an unusual radiant glow.

       Allie was slightly taken back a few steps by the way her mother turned sharply toward her, like her mother was just anticipating the moment until Allie made her grand entrance. There was a giddy smile on her mother's face as she shook like a Chihuahua ready for a tinkle break.

Allie: What are smiling about this early in the morning?

       Allie's mother didn't say anything, she just kept her excited Chihuahua looking face like it was now a permanent fixture. Suddenly, her mom held up a still sealed -- Allie thanked her for the respect of privacy -- white envelope addressed to Allison Lorelai Jenner -- Allie didn't care for her middle name so much, but she kept it because it is her mother's full first name, Lori for short.

       Suddenly realizing what this envelope could potentially be, Allie took a few more steps back from her mother as she felt her own expression on her face change from wonder filled to scared shitless.

Allie: That's not another letter from Auggie is it? Because I really don't want to be slapped in the face again!

       Almost like an initial reaction, Allie began to hold her hand over the part of her face where her mother had slapped her that one day she was already having the worst day of her life; and the topping on her cake of a day was that letter from August.

       Inside, Lori cringed a little remembering how far over the line she went that day, it was tough to even bring up how regretful and extremely ashamed of herself she was. It's a horrible thought, but Lori was slightly glad that her husband, Allie's father James, wasn't there physically to witness that day. She already knew that it was wrong and she didn't need James to tell her that it was.