Lust, Lace and Love Part 2

A continuation of the L chapter of the A-Z. There will be more parts to this, regards chapter layout. Italics are a letter and the lines are representative to a passing of time. Hope you enjoy this next part. 

"Is this the girl?" William's aunt cast a disapproving eye over Faye who sat primly on the couch in the parlour, her appearance been scrutinised by William's elderly Aunt, her unfortunate sickly looking daughter sat on the couch opposite, her dull grey eyes boring into Faye. "She has a name Aunt, her name is Faye."
"Faye, what kind of idiotic name is that? I knew it was foolish to let you make your own path in the world William. It was tragic enough when you made acquaintances with new money. Lord Watkins and his sister are not exactly what one would call ideal for your social circle and they at least have money." His aunt said not lowering her voice should her guest overhear her remarks. "I happen to like Ian and Elizabeth greatly. Their grandfather invested wisely from the money he made as a merchant and I should not be dictated as to who my friends are by how they established their wealth." William said firmly. He knew his Aunt was a snob at the best of times but surely she would at least want him to be settled. "Established their wealth indeed! You speak as if they are of the same rank as we, we who can trace our lands back to the Doomsday Book." His Aunt said as William looked over to see Faye attempting to make conversation with his cousin Margaret but to little avail.

"Aunt Edith, regardless of where we can trace our ancestry and fortune from it does not change the fact that Miss Faye Richards has captured my heart." William said with conviction as his Aunt seemingly scoffed at his words. "Oh what nonsense, you have had her acquaintance for at most 9 weeks since those supposed friends of yours took residence in Netherton. I regret greatly they moved there at all."
"I fail to see how this impacts you at all Aunt, I merely brought Faye here in the hope you should give us your blessing. However I do not need your approval."
"What can she bring you William? I have heard of her family, her elder sister. There is a gentleman in the village who has a cousin in Netherton, his wife was more than happy to discuss the Richards family."

"Do you play?" Faye asked as she stood up heading to the pianoforte that stood in the corner of the room. She was trying desperately to get William's dour looking cousin to talk but thus far it had been unsuccessful. She knew she was here to be scrutinised but she genuinely believed this silence was far worse than any cruel words sent her way. At least she could argue against vile words, this passive clear contempt shown to her was hard to cope with. True the large estate was beautiful, the trees lining the avenue towards the hall, the pretty gardens but the actual house itself felt cold and unforgiving, rather aptly like it's owner. Margaret may be giving her the silent treatment but William's Aunt had looked down her nose practically at Faye, her cold tone a clear display of the disdain she felt. "My father enjoys hearing my sisters and I play. Mother not so much though she allowed it at least." Faye ventured wandering if perhaps the poor instrument was merely an ornament amongst the vast and ornate objects. "Mother says music is entertainment for those with little intellect." Margaret said curtly as Faye balked a little. "Pardon?"
"Entertainment for the common folk." Margaret added with a smirk as Faye chewed her lip thoughtfully. "Why then do you even have a pianoforte if it's not to be played?" Faye asked as Margaret sniffed. "On occasions we have to entertain those who are not quite of our class. Needless to say that when I own this house, I shall be rid of the useless thing."

William had been led into the library by his Aunt who seemed keen to show him something. "You remember your mother William, my sister."
"Of course I do Aunt. Her death left a void in my heart that no matter what happens cannot be repaired." William said as he glanced to the painting on the fireplace, what was meant to be his mother, his Aunt and his maternal Uncle when they were children. "Do you remember her desire William, that you and my Margaret were to be wed."
"We were children Aunt, it was never really a desire of my mother. We had neither had chance to meet other people from our society."
"That girl, is she from society, our society?" His Aunt implored as William sighed.
"It doesn't matter. I have finances enough to support us."
"She will bring nothing but misery and misfortune to you. No doubt her family are delighted at the engagement." Edith De Montford said with a knowing look.
"They are, though not for reasons you have determined. They want their daughter to be happy, perhaps you should feel similar towards Margaret. She sits and lets the world go by, you stuffing her into a a life as your companion. Have you ever asked her what she wants?" William implored as Edith scoffed at his words. "Hark at you, trying to tell me how to raise my child. You are not a father are you. What should you know."
"I know what you're implying , my sister, true she is naïve but eventually I shall allow her to come to live with Faye and I when we are married and I would want her to have the chance to experience new things."
"Oh why not invite Faye's elder sister, she can teach Charlotte how to fall for the stable boy, or perhaps your valet. After all Charlotte is of a higher class." Edith ventured.